Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2 upgrade - need some user's experience

Hello

And first I apologize for my really poor english.

I own a Jackson superstrat DK2 with 3 pickups : 1 double
    2 simples with 5 ways selector

I'm playing many styles (from Lynyrd Skynyrd to UFO by Royal Hunt and Van Halen, with a bit of Pantera) but metal is my credo !
    I plan to upgrade my Jackson and remove the Duncan Design pickups to replace them with :

two SSHR-1B

and one SH-13

Is my choice a good choice ? not too "radical" in "super" hotrail mode.
    I'm playing on a peavey vypyr 100.

I read that the pots are 500k for the SSHR and 250 for the SH is the Göldo EL250 and 500 ( described as "smooth action") a good pot choice too ?

Thank you for your answers and advice.

JP-CM

Re: Jackson DK2 upgrade - need some user's experience

ooops I use the wrong forum....
    an admin must deplace it to the right section.... sorry (beginners are always cruel !!)

Comment

Welcome, and your English is just fine!

There is nothing wrong with that choice at all, but I will say that a JB in the DK2 will do everything you need, and more. The JB really works well in those, your amp will have to be up to the job for metal tones after that.

If you think the JB may not be metal enough (though it is), drop a Duncan Distortion in the bridge.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

hello,

Thank you for your quick answer. In fact, I think the pick-up must be 30% specialized... the amp and the effects must do the job's 70% left.
        I've contacted the technical staff of S&D to have the right wires schemas, because I do not know if I'll use the "split" capability of the SSHR.
        I'll post it and perhaps more (photos) If I do a great upgrade job.

Thanx again.

JP-CM

Comment

I have a Jackson SL3 with the same pickup config and in that I have a JB/SSL-1/Hot Rails which gives a good range of tones.

You might also think about a Super Distortion (DiMarzio) for the bridge. I had one in a DK2M and it was sweet.

My Jackson Concept (very similar to your DK2) has a Bill Lawrence USA 500 XL in the bridge and, for metal, that thing is awesome!

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Oh by the way, the Duncan Designed single coils in those guitars have a VERY good reputation, you might want to just leave the middle one in there, and upgrade the bridge and neck.
            I had a DK2 for a short while, and I really liked those single coils, thought they sounded fantastic.

Comment

hello
              thanks for the answers

I 'm upgrading all the stuff, because i think the DD simples are sustainless and during bends, they are not so good to maintain the sound.

I'll finish the "upgrade" really soon and, sure I'll post my observations and feelings !

Comment

It's done ! and for 'metal' players it is really tremendous !
                my Jackson's rebirth

Comment

Looks great man! I don't think you'll use that middle pickup much, but I might be wrong. Good job anyway.

Comment

thanx (scottish friend, I was in Edimbourg in 1983 for the Military Tatoo... and after, around for the Monsters of Rock )

here are my first "hot" observations :

the neck one is the brighest : for first plan rythmic's riffs
                    the middle is brightless the the neck one, ideal for the background rythmics ( I mean like malcom Young, behind his brother during rythmic parts)
                    The sh-13 is tremendous for solos, bass are a bit poor, middle great and the rest tremendous !

It is a "metal" guitar... radical ! really agressive sound... with a sexy look indeed !

...worth the job and money.

(pots are all 500K log coolest action)

now the weak point is..... I !!!
                    Last edited by JP-CM; 05-28-2010, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JP-CM View Post
                      thanx (scottish friend, I was in Edimbourg in 1983 for the Military Tatoo... and after, around for the Monsters of Rock )

here are my first "hot" observations :

the neck one is the brighest : for first plan rythmic's riffs
                      the middle is brightless the the neck one, ideal for the background rythmics ( I mean like malcom Young, behind his brother during rythmic parts)
                      The sh-13 is tremendous for solos, bass are a bit poor, middle great and the rest tremendous !

It is a "metal" guitar... radical ! really agressive sound... with a sexy look indeed !

...worth the job and money.

(pots are all 500K log coolest action)

now the weak point is..... I !!!
                      Yeah, I understand what you mean about the pickups. The neck Hot Rail will also be great for Dave Murray type solo sounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X