JB vs. JB (300k vs. 500k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs. JB (300k vs. 500k)

im really not sure where i stand on this. they both have elements i really like, its hard to pick a winner. what surprises me most is what a large difference the pot value made. sounds like a completely different pickup.

these are in the same guitar, by the way. same settings. same strings. same everything, other than the volume pot.

the 500k sounds so much more open yet tight, and more percussive in the mids. but the 300k has much more weight to it, thickness. but more mush. *edit- on second thought, that mush, sponginess, and other qualities are making 300k sound a lot thinner to me. hmm.

i dunno...the 500k is probably staying (well, not this exact pot, i need to buy one that fits gibson knobs on the shaft (CTS most likely, right?). right now i have a single white strat knob with 2 black speed knobs on my explorer...that has to change soon. haha

im gonna have to spend some quality time with the cranked XXX to make a fair judgement.
    Last edited by ex-250; 05-25-2010, 10:58 PM.
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Re: JB vs. JB (300k vs. 500k)

oh and heres the picture in case you were wondering

Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

500K for me. But the 300K didn't sound bad.
      1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
      Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
      Marshall JVM205H
      Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
      Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
      + a bunch of pedals

Comment

a lots of guys here use it with 250K volume and 250K tone pots! I've tried it once like that in an alder strat and all I got was mush and overcompressed muffled bridge tone...later on I disconnected the tone pot from the JB and it used it with just a 250K volume...
        Never had a chance to try it with 500K + 500K or even just a 500K volume. Some say it's the best with just one 500K volume.

Comment

I have mine with a 250k volume pot, no tone. Bridge position of a Strat.
          Sounds great. I tried it with a 250k tone pot and it was too muffled.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

To me, the 500k version would get eq'd in the mix if I were at the board. A little heavy in the 1-3k range. I think the 300k version would work better in the mix.

Comment

in my estimation the 300k sound a little less compressed more organic. the 500k had a steep wall of tone coming hard at your ears.
              my youtube channel
              www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
              my Industrial music for sale here
              http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
              my soundcloud page
              https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
              my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
              https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Comment

Originally posted by surface54 View Post
                in my estimation the 300k sound a little less compressed more organic. the 500k had a steep wall of tone coming hard at your ears.
                Yeah I agree.
                I thought the difference was more subtle than the original post suggested though.
                Nice playing on a Slayer, I mean PRIEST, classic BTW.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

This is like examining the differences between two grains of rice. The results are negligible. Stay with 500k.

Comment

I thought they were equally good, and very different. Two very usable sounds.

Why not get two guitars, as identical as possible, and keep both setups? You could switch from one to the other as the songs dictate.
                    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                      a lots of guys here use it with 250K volume and 250K tone pots! I've tried it once like that in an alder strat and all I got was mush and overcompressed muffled bridge tone...later on I disconnected the tone pot from the JB and it used it with just a 250K volume...
                      Never had a chance to try it with 500K + 500K or even just a 500K volume. Some say it's the best with just one 500K volume.
                      Had that. It has a lot of harmonics on the treble end, but does also have a lot of "ice-pick" sounds and the top end looses some fatness. Works better with two 500K pots now for me.
                      My pickups: Bareknuckle Holy Diver, Nailbomb, Black Dog; Seymour Duncan Hotrails. EMG 81 & 85

Comment

Working...
                      X