Somebody get me started with MIDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody get me started with MIDI

I need to know the basics. I'm trying to record some new stuff with strings/horns/organs...etc.

I'm using Sony ACID, and have a Casio WK keyboard hooked up through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro into a PC running Windows 7.

I can get the keyboard to input the notes into ACID, and I've got the hang of entering them manually, but I don't know how to get them to sound like other instruments. Everything sounds like a piano on playback.

Do I need some kind of MIDI software package? Where do the other instrument sounds come from? Should they already be in Sony ACID and I just don't know how to switch into them?

I don't want to get too deep into this stuff, I'm really just experimenting with demos to see how it sounds before I bring real instruments into the equation.

Thanks guys.
    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Re: Somebody get me started with MIDI

Does the M-Audio Fast Track Pro have drivers or software included with it?
    If so, it should have some sort of general midi software included.
    If not, dig through your OS audio driver.

Which version of Acid are you using?

Typically, for a DAW, you load synth modules as plugins.
    A few, like Absynth, can be stand alone as well.

I have no idea what comes with Acid, but typically, there will be at least one softsynth.

What you're hearing is the standard general midi piano sound, btw.

What you want to do is make sure your keyboard is talking to your sound card.... in this case the Fast Track.
    Then you want to make sure it talks to Acid.
    You do that by pointing all the audio preferences in Acid to the Fast Track input.
    I can't give you specifics because I don't have that software/hardware combo.
    Once you've done that, you should be able to run a softsynth plugin in Acid and play it using your keyboard.

The important part is getting the sound driver and Acid preferences set correctly.

MM
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Search for Free VSTi if Acid supports VST format. Also look up DXi. You need virtual instruments for more sounds. However, you should have more than just a piano from the default General Midi which windows has installed. You should have drums and guitars and a few others, but they really don't sound all that realistic. Here are a few links to get you started:

A huge collection of Plugins DXi, Free software - freeware, shareware, and demos - that you can download for free. Platforms include Windows, Mac and Linux.

You'll have to figure out how to get whatever you download to work with what you've got.

Good luck!
      Perfect Tone? ...

Comment

Thanks guys.

It's the most recent version of ACID (Pro 7).

I'll have to figure out if ACID works with VST...it came with software and drivers, which I already loaded. I have a feeling what I need is already in there, and just not on the right settings or something.

Some of these terms are lost on me. DAW? Softsynth?

Comment

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation.

Softsynth = Software-based synthesizer as opposed to your hardware synth (the Casio).
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

So which part of my setup is the DAW?

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
              So which part of my setup is the DAW?
              It's the computer, the sound card and the software.

Edit: Ok, finally got a look at Acid 7 website... wow, it's gotten more comprehensive since I last worked on it. lol

Found this site. It's Acid 4/5, but it should give you an idea of what to do.
              How do I record with MIDI and VSTi's in ACID?

If you want to record MIDI you'll need a MIDI keyboard connected to a MIDI interface on your computer. This can be provided by a sound card or dedicated MIDI interface such as a USB device. Once the hardware is hooked up, you need to go into menu Options->Preferences and click on the MIDI tab. This is where to designate your MIDI input and output devices. Once you've done this, click on the VST Instruments tab and make sure your VSTi's are listed there with a checkmark next to them. If not, add the directory that they are in to the search list so ACID 4 can find them.

Now you're ready to use a softsynth. Select menu Insert->Soft Synth and then select one of your VSTi's. This will bring up the softsynth properties dialog. The first button at the top right looks like a MIDI connection and if you hover your mouse over it, it will say "Enable Realtime MIDI Alt-F7". Press it (or press Alt-F7) so that its selected and you should be able to play your MIDI keyboard and hear the softsynth.

To record, just press the record button and select MIDI as the option at the top. Modify the filename and location if you wish, and at the bottom select the correct Record device (this should be your MIDI input device) and the correct MIDI Thru device which should be your softsynth. Finally press Start and begin to play.
              You might want to read through the Sony support site for Acid 7.
              There are tutorials and such to help you out.

You can also do a search for free VSTs or free softsynths to get a little more variety than what Sony provided with Acid.

MM
              Last edited by MojoMonster; 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM.
              MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
              Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Wow, thanks so much MM. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

I started exploring it tonight, hopefully I'll get some real time for it this weekend. It's all a little more complicated than I expected, but definitely worth taking the time to learn.

I finished inputting most of the MIDI, so now the fun part: playing with the different sounds.

Comment

Working...
                X