Heavy Metallica/Slayer influenced song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Metallica/Slayer influenced song

I wanted to do something along the lines of Metallica's slower songs like Sad But True and 2X4 so came up with this today, literally took me about two hours. There's a bit of Slayer in there too I think.
    I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, my drumming is really getting better and the guitars sound as heavy as I'd hoped they would.

"Slug"

March of Alaric's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

or

The drum kit is an extremely cheap USB electronic kit, bass is an extremely cheap no make kinda thing, rythm guitars are all on my Jackson Kelly with an Invader in the bridge. Lead part was done on an Epi Les Paul with an A2Pro neck pup.
    Last edited by Diocletian; 06-13-2010, 09:59 AM.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Re: Heavy Metallica/Slayer influenced song

It was cool but you should change the opening Metallica riffs so it sounds less copied and more emulated.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
      It was cool but you should change the opening Metallica riffs so it sounds less copied and more emulated.
      Yeah I know, the first part of the riff is so similar, I never even realised it when I was recording it (honest!). By the time I DID realise it, I'd recorded most of the song and couldn't be arsed changing it.

Still, I think, apart from that one part of the riff, it's not that close to Metallica is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
        Yeah I know, the first part of the riff is so similar, I never even realised it when I was recording it (honest!). By the time I DID realise it, I'd recorded most of the song and couldn't be arsed changing it.

Still, I think, apart from that one part of the riff, it's not that close to Metallica is it?
        Beside that it was pretty good. Like me the timing could be improved but I like the direction you were going. I also think it is a bold undertaking because Hetfield is a genius. That's a hard act to follow but so far you're going good. Let me know if you update it.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
          Beside that it was pretty good. Like me the timing could be improved but I like the direction you were going. I also think it is a bold undertaking because Hetfield is a genius. That's a hard act to follow but so far you're going good. Let me know if you update it.
          Thanks man!

If you mean the timing on the rythm guitar parts, I know they're too loose for this sort of metal, but I really did record it in a couple of hours so I didn't really "know" the parts very well.
          I always record these things in a couple of hours with good intentions to go back and tighten them up, but I never do, so I posted it up as is, cos it'll probably be lost in the sands of time now.

I've got a Def Leppard "Animal" a-like on the go I'm gonna concentrate on if I can find someone to sing and do some lyrics now.

Comment

I like it, but I agree the first part of the main riff sounds a little too similar to Sad But True.

Comment

What about overall? That part of the riff is only a small part of the song. I could just change one note there and no one would even mention Sad But True.

Comment

I liked it except the Metallica bit should be changed.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Overall I really like it.

Comment

cool stuff mr. sandman

Comment

sounds like sad but true, but oh well, aren't most riffs influenced by something?

kinda clunky at a transition around 0:23, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, if I ever get the motivation I'll change the first part of the riff.

Comment

Working...
                        X