pick question accou vs elect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick question accou vs elect

Do you guys use the same picks playing elect and accou?? I always used Orange dunlop tortex picks, but switched to Jazz IIIs about a year ago and my playing has gotten more accurate. However, when I strum my accou, it can sound very harsh and unmusical due to the sharp point. This is mainly why I dont play accou is cuz I sound so unmusical when I do. So Ive been working on it and spent from 2-3 this am trying to strum lighter with the jazzIiI, but if I use one of my tortex's, Im fine
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: pick question accou vs elect

i use tortex .88 or ultex 1.0 (or .9 sharp if i can find em) on all my guitars.

the reason i dont like the jazz IIIs is just what you said, they sound unmusical to my ears. if you use alot of gain or effects i dont hear it as much but if, like me, you play straight into the amp with a moderate amount of gain it doesnt sound good. ymmv

Comment

I tend to use white sharkfins for electric and the softer cream ones for acoustic/bad mandolin playing.
      I just find it easier to strum with a softer pick.
      It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

I always used to prefer thicker picks for acoustic. I really liked to feel the attack and let the strings ring out. I just felt like they gave me more control over dynamics which I think is more important on an acoustic than an electric.

Now I use thicker 1mm picks for electric as well, so I just use the same ones for acoustic. They give me what I want.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I pretty much exclusively use Jazz IIIs for electric and very thin floppy picks for acoustic. I never liked the sound of Jazz IIIs on the acoustic, they just don't have the right sound.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i use tortex .88 or ultex 1.0 (or .9 sharp if i can find em) on all my guitars.

the reason i dont like the jazz IIIs is just what you said, they sound unmusical to my ears. if you use alot of gain or effects i dont hear it as much but if, like me, you play straight into the amp with a moderate amount of gain it doesnt sound good. ymmv

I also use the Dunlop .88's. I like these with my electrics & on the rare ocassions I use a pick with acoustic (I usually playe acoustic fingerstyle) I will use either the .88 or the .73. The .73 are bit brighter on acoustic so I can get a touch more brightness out of the guitar with a thinner pick.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have been using v-picks for the past year. Lite for electric (1.5 mm) and ultra lite (.8 mm)for acoustic. To me they give the right balance of accuracy/speed and tone. I definitely use a lighter one on acoustic though.

Comment

I mostly use a 1mm Dunlop Tortex Jazz III for electrics and a thinner 0.5mm, 0.73 for acoustic. Thinner ones seems to be working better with acoustics.
                "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                  I also use the Dunlop .88's. I like these with my electrics & on the rare ocassions I use a pick with acoustic (I usually playe acoustic fingerstyle) I will use either the .88 or the .73. The .73 are bit brighter on acoustic so I can get a touch more brightness out of the guitar with a thinner pick.
                  i play both acoustic and electric finger style more than half the time. it seems most of my acoustics are bright enough

Comment

lately the only picks i like are either black ice picks from planet waves or whatever jazz sized picks i happen upon. usually though, i play with the PW .80 mediums for everything, sometimes .55 lights for strumming on the acoustic though.
                    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Working...
                    X