Short clip:phat cat with alnico 8's,EVH phase 90,Boogie mark 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short clip:phat cat with alnico 8's,EVH phase 90,Boogie mark 5

It seems like forever that I have recorded or posted any clips. I had a free afternoon today so I fooled around and recorded a short clip. I have custom shop phat cats in my PRS hollowbody 2 and recently changed the magnets to alnico 8 as several guys recommended. I was curious to see how they would record. I used the bridge pu on the prs, plugged into a MXR EVH phase 90 (script setting) and plugged int my mesa boogie mark 5. I am a little hesitant to post considering the superb playing of some of the clips over here.

Re: Short cliphat cat with alnico 8's,EVH phase 90,Boogie mark 5

Sounds great man. Nice playing. Nice touch with the phase as well.

Comment

great sound man! very articulate and cutting but still has a real meaty thickness.
      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
        great sound man! very articulate and cutting but still has a real meaty thickness.

These are the pu's I had made. I had larger slugs used than the regular phat cats, this was before sd made phat cats with larger slugs for hamer (IIRC). I can't recall what the windings were. Initially they had double magnets like harmonic design z-90's but I removed them, ground the slugs down and covered them with gold covers and put in an alnico 5 and a ceramic in the bridge. These sounded good but was just a little too edgy. On the pickup lounge guys had talked about using two a8's in bridge phat cats. I tried it and am very pleased, like you said, meaty yet articulate. I put a5's in the neck and they balance each other well.

Comment

Working...
        X