banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another EPIC song from my band (Rainbow/Rush-ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another EPIC song from my band (Rainbow/Rush-ish)

I'm not sure if a 10 minute song qualifies as being epic, but I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I love this song because it uses a rhythm style you don't hear in rock these days -- the boogie.

Music:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Lyric:

Polaris
    © 2008

In the days before the breaking of the world
    We braved the seas of fortune
    Beneath the rune of power, our tall ships they devoured
    Our foes be they sword or bowmen
    Astronavigators
    Heirs to the thunder lords
    We found sacred and unholy things upon those distant shores

In the days before the mighty lamentation
    We traversed the stars at will
    In heaven bound armadas; we chronicled our saga
    Books written in the blood we spilled
    Astronavigators
    Astraeus our only Lord
    We beheld grand celestial kingdoms
    And took them by the sword

Time rolls on
    That Age is dead and gone
    Yet Ages rise again
    But, do the souls of men?
    Oh, do you remember?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Another EPIC song from my band (Rainbow/Rush-ish)

The way your lead break starts of at 2:10 was VERY (early 80s) Gary Moore

I liked and even loved (6:42's chord, and the riffing section it led to) various parts in this song, and I liked your tones, but the song was a little disjointed feeling for me? Maybe it was just PJs approach. Not sure. At times I got some very 70s electric Al DiMeola, and at the same time kinda got some "trippy moody' Roger Fischer/Howard Leese kinda feel.

Bottom line though- I'm really glad to hear you hitting up this 70s style vs. the 80s GL style pyro.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Thanks for listening, Jeff!

I know that not every song is going to tickle everyone's fancy, and this band is a lot less straightforward than my last project.

I've yet to hear anyone call this song disjointed yet, but I realize that the song goes through ... what? Something like 12 individual sections in 10 minutes? And I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Give it a couple more listens; sometimes the songs that take the longest to grow on you are the ones that stick with you longest!

Comment

Have not heard you in a while bro. I definitely hear some Rainbow in there - glad you know you are still rocking. Is this the same singer from your band a couple years ago? Your solo is a little Pat Traveres-ish and Schenker-ish too. As usual you rip it up. I hear lots of work in this song. Good job all round.
        https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Thanks, Stevo!

Yeah, still rocking!

And yes, same singer.

This is the new band:

You can follow us on the Book of Face at http://listn.to/PhantomIsle

Comment

guitar/pickups? cool work
            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
            PRS McCarty STD
            '71 Gibson SG Custom
            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
            Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
              guitar/pickups? cool work
              Thanks.

The lion's share of the guitar parts are an Agile AL-2800 with a Bare Knuckle Riff Raff in the bridge and a Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday in the neck. The Ocatve parts are a Warmoth "super Tele" which is in Nashville tuning; Bare Knuckle VHII in the bridge and Bare Knuckle Trilogy Suite in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                Thanks for listening, Jeff!

I know that not every song is going to tickle everyone's fancy, and this band is a lot less straightforward than my last project.

I've yet to hear anyone call this song disjointed yet, but I realize that the song goes through ... what? Something like 12 individual sections in 10 minutes? And I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Give it a couple more listens; sometimes the songs that take the longest to grow on you are the ones that stick with you longest!
                No worries- hope I did not come off sounding too critical- just had a tougher time judging this one- liked alot of the parts, but not neccessarily all together..if that makes sense?
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Jeff, you're just a songs-about-pan-dimensional-warriors-in-their-decline song hater!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    Jeff, you're just a songs-about-pan-dimensional-warriors-in-their-decline song hater!!

You may be right. I'll bring this up with my therapist next week!

Comment

Uh ... wha?! Methinks a spambot has got loose here, as that link has been dead for ages.

Comment

Working...
                      X