recording for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording for dummies

I want to pick up some recording gear, Nothing fancy. Mainly I just want to beable to record my riffs and build on them. I doudt I will ever add drums or vocals, atleast not on my home computer.

I have no idea what I need, All I have currently is my guitar rig, A digitech TSR24 which I use for delay, reverb ect and a PC with Vista on it.

Re: recording for dummies

Boss Micro BR maybe?
    "The disgusting stink of a too loud electric guitar. Now that's my idea of a good time." Frank Zappa

Comment

I would like to use computer software were I can add tracks and layer parts. Like I said though, I dont know anything about this stuff.

Comment

something like one of these:
        Earn 8% in rewards w/free Backstage Pass membership on all pro audio equipment from signal processors to lighting & stage effects to headphones and software.

or

Earn 8% in rewards w/free Backstage Pass membership on all pro audio equipment from signal processors to lighting & stage effects to headphones and software.

with editing software

and

plus a mic stand of some kind...
        Last edited by GoDrex; 08-01-2010, 02:45 PM.
        my soundclick page

Comment

Will this work.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamR View Post
            from what I can tell that might not be a good choice for a microphone, for recording a guitar speaker. On their site they recommend it for acoustic guitar and vocals.
            my soundclick page

Comment

What kind of computer doe you have? If you have a Mac you can really just use Garage Band, but if you have a PC you will need some software. A good place to start would be with some Share ware software, like Audacity.

Download Audacity for free. A free multi-track audio editor and recorder. Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Audacity is a pretty good for what you say you want to do. If you are going to do vocals or acoustic guitar you would need to have a microphone & a reasonable Preamp.

I use a MBOX Mini

I haven't used it much, but this comes with Pro Tools LE & for the most part Pro Tools is the standard in most recording Studios.

If you are going to do electric recording, then all you need is a decent Mike in front of your amp, into the Mbox & into the computer. Again a good place to start would be with an Shure SM57. Not the best mike to record with, but you can use this to record your amp, as well as vocals, but this can also be used in all live stuff.

I also record with a Bheringer Vamp. Keep in mind most of this stuff will work to do very basic tracks, but if you want to do a more professional style recording you will probably need to go with all better gear.

Nowadays I just open up my Mac, start Garage Band and with my acoustic I just start recording. I don't even use the Mbox or a mike, just the laptops mike. For ideas and stuff its fine. The Mbox and a good mike simply put are going to make everything sound more professional.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

If you get one of the mid line Digitech RP pedals with the USB port
                they come with cubase or ProTracks or some such recording soft ware

my GNX pedal did
                ProTracks ( Cakewalk designed )
                has a virtual drum machine
                about 64 tracks
                loop editor
                bunch of crap
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X