little jazz tune I recorded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• little jazz tune I recorded

My roommate has a bunch of recording stuff & today I decided to take advantage of it & record this jazz tune I've been working on lately--it's the most standard of standards but I just learned how to play the head a few days ago. I was gonna use my gretsch but the high E I just bought to replace the rusty one that came with the flatwound set snapped when I brought it up to pitch for the first time... f-in d'addario... d'ildodario... Anyways, stock hagstrom viking except for an 11 set and a '59 in the neck straight into the mixer, done all in one take. Some ideas worked out, some didn't, such is the nature of improv i guess.

Anyhoo, here it is.

Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: little jazz tune I recorded

wow nice man. Very very nice. nice and clean, and great tone.

Have you tried it with a swing feel? Try to set a drum machine to a swing groove. When i play jazz, i really need the swing groove.
    my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
    A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Lol I don't think the tone is that great--I plugged straight into the mixing board with no amp sims or anything, but I'm glad you like it

And yeah I usually try to swing it, but with 2 guitars I have trouble feelin it sometimes. My teacher says I got too much rock & roll in me haha

Comment

eh, i like the tone too. it's not a sound i'd use for anything i do, but it definitely fits the mood and music you're playing there. ya need to boost the lead guitar though, i can barely hear it!
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

I like it! The rhythm guitar work is salty. Now I gotta find my Joe Pass cd's.
          sigpic Wes
          Originally posted by Robert S.
          I love you too Charlie!
          Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
            eh, i like the tone too. it's not a sound i'd use for anything i do, but it definitely fits the mood and music you're playing there. ya need to boost the lead guitar though, i can barely hear it!
            Yeah dude it's weird on studio monitors and laptop speakers the mix is perfect, but anything else the rhythm track just sounds HUGE. Must just be the frequency or something

Also, I think it's great how many tube amps I've owned & am now getting complimented on a $500 guitar plugged straight into the mixer.

Maybe I should sell my dual showman reverb and get a PA

Comment

lol, i wouldn't
              Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
              ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Well the funny thing is: for jazz, it's not hard to get the tone.

All you need is a practice amp and a decent guitar.

I took a lesson with Lorne Lofski once (Timmy Page is taking lessons with him now. You can check out his threads in the sound room). And he didn't have an amp at home. So i brought two amps. I used my fender blues junior. And he used my Fender FRONTMAN 15 watt practice amp. He had a better tone than me. he just EQd it right away, and rolled the tone down on his guitar, and it sounded like that mellow jazz tone that i was so used to hearing. He was playing a strat with lipsticks i believe.

So yeah - for jazz - it's really not hard to get a good tone. If, on the other hand, you want: crunch, distortion, smooth distorted lead sound, chimy fender cleans, etc etc, then its a whole different story and you need some Ampage $$$.
                my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by Frantic_Rock View Post
                  wow nice man. Very very nice. nice and clean, and great tone.

Have you tried it with a swing feel? Try to set a drum machine to a swing groove. When i play jazz, i really need the swing groove.
                  +1 really sweet tone!

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
                  I like it! The rhythm guitar work is salty. Now I gotta find my Joe Pass cd's.
                  Nicely done.......
                  BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                  Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                  Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                  Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                  Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                  Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                  Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                  Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                  Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                  Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
                  X