Help me construct a recording setup for around $300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me construct a recording setup for around $300

Yeah. I'm looking to finally record some decent guitar tones. So, from the ground up, can you give me some advice on what to get mic, usb audio interface and monitors-wise for a simple desktop recording setup? I already have Cubase 5 and Adobe Audition for tracking.

I think I have a good idea of what would be good, BUT I'm often wrong when it comes to things I'm new at and I'd rather not waste money on junk. I know I'd like 0 latency, and I've been told to achieve that, the audio interface has to have monitor outs. Right?

For the mic I'm looking at a Sennheiser E609: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ELAID=26021096

For the audio interface I'm looking at the M-Audio MobilePre USB: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=701368

For monitors... I have no idea what might be good.

Hell, I don't even know if I'm going about any of this the right way! That's where you guys come in. So, speak to me about basic guitar recording as if I was a small child. Help me build this sucker already.
    Last edited by TheLivingDead; 11-12-2010, 03:42 AM.

Re: Help me construct a recording setup for around $300

It looks like you have some good options already selected. I don't know about monitors though. That mike looks pretty good. I've always just used a SM57, but the one you linked to seems better since it is designed for guitar.

My recording setup is pretty simple....Boss GT-6 straight into the soundcard. If I need to add vocals I run the mike through my GT-6 on bypass, and it still allows me to adjust the line level. Someday I will get a unit like the M-Audio above. It should allow for better sound.

Sorry I wasn't more help, but I haven't slept all night and I thought I'd just type something....LOL.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

if you can mic amps then that is best for sound. if not, I like line 6 toneport. I got the podfarm reamp platinum toneport for $100.

I use $60 maudio studiopro3 as monitors

reaper is free for first 30 days

drum software ezdrummer is $50 at MF when on sale 1-2 times a year

thats all I use

Comment

Don't bother with monitors until you get more serious/better/better gear. A pair of speakers you're familiar with will be way more useful.

Latency has nothing to do with outputs - it's about the drivers for your interface and (more importantly) how fast your computer is.
        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Aha. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was gonna go with the SM57 as it's apparently the standard, but I saw for a little more I could get the SE609 that I keep hearing so much about.

Yeah, I meant to say I already have EZDrummer with Drumkit from Hell. Fun program! Time to put it to use.

As for the monitors, I figured I'd need some decent ones (vs cheap little computer speakers) to properly EQ tracks. In the past I've made tracks sound really good through THOSE speakers but when I put the song in a car it's just a bassy mess.

Latency. Alright, what I'm using to record with right now is a LightSnake usb: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ELAID=26022915

Straight from my amp into my computer. With it I'm getting about half a second of latency (not to mention a high end sizzle). Should I expect that to improve with a better interface? My computer is plenty fast.

Thanks again!

Comment

You are on the right track sir!
            I use a similar set-up as what you are about to get and I have no latency issues at all.
            Just make shure your pc is fast enough (at least dual core or similar), you have the correct drivers installed (asio) and that you are actually using the usb 2 or firewire port of your computer.

I'm looking to get a Korg nanopad to make programming drum tracks easier.
            Can't help you on monitors, but I think that is the part where you would want to spend a little more to get a good speaker set with a nice flat frequency response.

Comment

On the amplification/monitor front I'd go for a separate half decent hi-fi amp and speakers rather than going to for bottom of the range (and they would be for the money you want to spend) studio monitors.
              My recording setup includes a pair of floor standing missions speakers I picked up for for £10 ($15) and a cambridge audio A1 amp I got for £20 ($30). Ok the speakers are a bit battered round the cosmetically but they sound great and quite even in response.
              I must admit I'm a bit of a cheapskate on mics and use cheap behringer, peavey and samson mics, but you can't go wrong with a '57.
              Just remmeber you don't have to buy new, dynamic mics are pretty robust things and if they look cosmetically they're probably sound.
              Beware cheap mic stands mind, I bought a cheap one a few years back and it just wont clamp the boom these days.
              It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

Working...
              X