How to play fast chords ad nauseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to play fast chords ad nauseum

I'm working on learning this old song. The "solo" in just really fast chords on the top 3 strings, little chords that slide around. The tempo is about 1/4 note = 140, and the little chords are constant 1/16th notes for about 20 measures. It kind of like an old timer banjo or mandoline part, but played in electric.

How would play this without 1) cramping up or 2) having your arm fall off? Strings of 1/6th notes a pretty easy on a sinigle string, but strumming three strings that fast and for that long is tough. Anchoring the wrist and moving the hand is precise, but the reach across three strings is a bit much. Flailing the whole lower arm is really tiring, my upper arm starts to tire and hurt about halfway through.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: How to play fast chords ad nauseum

I think with this you're gonna have to do 2 things:

1. Don't anchor your wrist, you need to be able to reach that far comfortably. The only times you should be anchoring your wrist are when you're doing palm mutes, IMO.
    You should be strumming from your wrist since its 3 strings, you don't need to involve the other mechanics of your elbow and shoulder.

2. It might take a bit of exercise! If playing fast hasn't been a strong point for you, then it will take some work to get used to it. Just keep trying it, and creep up tempo wise, play the riff at 100bpm, 110, 120, 130, and finally 140. If you're feeling up to it, see if you can do it at 150. Playing at the proper tempo shouldn't be a problem after that!

Comment

what i'd try and do is move as little as possible, ie keep the rest of your arm comfortably still, and let most of the picking movement come from your thumb muscles.
      gotta be comfortable for the fast stuff

Comment

You have to approach this in a very relaxed manner. Every time that you start pushing for more speed before you're ready your arm and body will tend to tense up . . . and tension leads to slowness/bad playing. As has been said, play it slowly first until you can play it in your sleep, then start speeding things up.

I used to play a lot of funk and ska . . . tons of 16th notes and muting at fast tempos . . and almost always on the top three strings. As far as technique goes, you don't want to anchor your wrist. Anchoring slows you down. Keep it free floating and strum using a combo of slight arm movement at the elbow and mostly wrist. If you find that you're sounding notes that shouldn't be sounding then work on your left hand technique - mute the strings with the left rather than the right hand. That way you can keep your right hand/arm pumping at a good pace, and your left hand just has to glide from position to position.

Once again, remember that if you feel yourself tensing up AT ALL you have to slow things down. Keep slowing things down until it feels easy and you relax.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
        X