A quick couple songs with the Custom 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick couple songs with the Custom 8

I don't really get a feel for a new piece of gear till I record with it, so heres a couple of songs using the Custom 8 in the bridge of my Explorer. Its all first-take in the interest of getting things done quickly. Super-obvious bass ****up about halfway through Twist of Cain should tell you that much. haha

Twist of Cain

In League With Satan

Still need to spend some more time tweaking...the C8 is so very unlike any other pickup I've used, its taking a lot of getting used to to hit the sweet spot EQ-wise. Radically different EQing that I'm used to (I tend to push the mids all the way up...but they're already there on the C8. haha)
    Originally posted by Aceman
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Re: A quick couple songs with the Custom 8

I've got an SX P Bass. I love the thing! Got a Dimarzio pickup that pumps in it. Forget which one.

Twist of Cain sound great, man. I love the sound of that C8 in the Explorer. I think it sounds better than the original recording to be honest.

In League With Satan--Again, I like the sound of your rhythm section much better than the original. I hate the wacky reverb on the singer's voice on the original as well, but that's just me I guess. Yours is heavy as hell and the sound of your guitar is crisp, punchy, and has that great distortion. If Venom had actually sounded as good as this, I may have liked them more. Nice job man. I just put a UOA5 in my Custom, but I may have to try the 8 as well after hearing your clips. What amp are you using?
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Just the PODxt. "Criminal" amp model, "Treadplate" cab. with a Maxon OD-9 in front.

SX p-bass on Twist of Cain, SX jazz on In League With Satan. Also through the XT...I think both were the "Rock Classic" amp through the Big 8x10 cab model.

Glad you like the sounds. I like how cutting the C8 stayed down in Db on the Venom tune, I'd like more thickness/fullness in standard (Twist of Cain) though. Perhaps I just need to add a third or fourth rhythm track. Sounds a bit brittle how it is now.

I'd also like to try the regular Custom. I got this one as a C8 from the start in a trade.
      Last edited by ex-250; 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM.
      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

note to self: listen later at home or die.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
          Just the PODxt. "Criminal" amp model, "Treadplate" cab. with a Maxon OD-9 in front.

SX p-bass on Twist of Cain, SX jazz on In League With Satan. Also through the XT...I think both were the "Rock Classic" amp through the Big 8x10 cab model.

Glad you like the sounds. I like how cutting the C8 stayed down in Db on the Venom tune, I'd like more thickness/fullness in standard (Twist of Cain) though. Perhaps I just need to add a third or fourth rhythm track. Sounds a bit brittle how it is now.

I'd also like to try the regular Custom. I got this one as a C8 from the start in a trade.
          I hear what you're saying, but it still sounds great. I think I've listened to both of them about ten times each. I really love the tone and how tight it sounds. That XT is a good sounding tool.
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

the venom cover is just amazing. love the tone and feel. dig the bass sound more on this one.

you're right, the standard tuning gits in the danzig one are missing something (but they are clear as a bell that's for sure). too much separation between the gits and the bass, not much overlap. but you nail the pick squeals!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
              too much separation between the gits and the bass, not much overlap.
              exactly what i dont like about it. perhaps ill try it with the jazz.

Comment

Re-did the bass with the SX Jazz. Updated the soundclick file. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                  Re-did the bass with the SX Jazz. Updated the soundclick file. Check it out.
                  hard to tell not back to back, but the one I just listened to sounded pretty neat!

Comment

I need to redo this one as well. I just picked up the bass and did it real quick, didnt bother tuning- its a bit out of tune.

*edit- **** it. Can't get a tone I like as much now, so I'm leaving it.
                    Last edited by ex-250; 02-12-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Better, but still not ideal...

Manowar- Die For Metal

Comment

Re-uploaded that last song with an added third track down the middle. Cause really...why not?

Anyhow, I think the C8 is going bye-bye soon. Just sounds too 2-dimensional, not enough body. Might be time for the JB to return home.

Comment

good playing dude, I dig the songwriting...zakk wyde squeelz lolz

Comment

Danzig appreciates your compliment (Twist of Cain, I assume. 'tis the only one with zakkly squeals).
                            Last edited by ex-250; 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X