The Strat Lives! New Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Strat Lives! New Jam

I wanted to see if I could get my strat to sound real heavy with single coils. I tested two different amps: a Mesa Express 5:50 combo and Engl Screamer 50 combo. Let me know what you think of my little test.

Mesa Express 5:50 crunch + Maxon OD-820 + Fender American SSS strat

Engl Screamer 50 + Fender American SSS strat

Last edited by UberMetalDood; 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM.

Re: The Strat Lives! New Jam

What do you think? Does the music suck, tone suck, or is it ok?

Comment

Whether the music or tone sucks is just someone's opinion or what is good and what is bad, dude. I've heard a lot of people saying Randy Rhoads' tone sucked, but a hell of a lot of us thought it was incredible when the first Ozzy album came out.

I definitely like the tone on the Engl better than the Mesa. You can get singles to sound heavy. Yngwie's been doing it for years. I had a Line 6 Vetta with a patch called I Ron Man (Iron Man) that made my single coil strat bridge sound like the hottest humbucker you could get, lol. I like the layering you did and again, my preference was the Engl. The Mesa sounded kind of like someone playing modern metal with a 60s fuzz tone. I liked it too, but the sound wasn't "heavy" to me. Not in a modern way, anyway.
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
        Whether the music or tone sucks is just someone's opinion or what is good and what is bad, dude. I've heard a lot of people saying Randy Rhoads' tone sucked, but a hell of a lot of us thought it was incredible when the first Ozzy album came out.

I definitely like the tone on the Engl better than the Mesa. You can get singles to sound heavy. Yngwie's been doing it for years. I had a Line 6 Vetta with a patch called I Ron Man (Iron Man) that made my single coil strat bridge sound like the hottest humbucker you could get, lol. I like the layering you did and again, my preference was the Engl. The Mesa sounded kind of like someone playing modern metal with a 60s fuzz tone. I liked it too, but the sound wasn't "heavy" to me. Not in a modern way, anyway.
        It could be that I just didn't dial in a good metal sound on the Mesa. I bet in the hands of someone who knows metal tone it would have sounded better. Thanks for your comments and taking the time to check out my playing.

Comment

Working...
        X