X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crguti
    replied
    Re: Writing Metal

always has a recorder ready for those moments of inspiration.

Leave a comment:

• brunogio
    replied

I second the approach of just playing around and finding something interesting. Then work it so it is somewhat unique and sounds good to your ears.

Most of the riffs I've written first come to me as ideas while I'm noodling around. Then I try to refine it craft into what I'd consider a workable song section or riff. I try to work in new things I've never done before. This could be different modes, different arpeggio patterns or different rhythms.

There are a few concepts I go back to:

Blues Scale is good for dark and broody
    Harmonic Minor is good for more neo classic
    Dorian / Aeolian is good for somewhat more traditional metal

I'm always trying to think of new voicings, new patterns etc. That could be more technical approach such as string skipping, chromatic patterns, etc.

There's no real simple way to describe it because it's partially planned and partially just spontaneous.

Leave a comment:

• King IzzO)))
    replied

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    Just take a Maiden or Metallica or Megadeth riff and palm-mute all the open chords and play all the palm-muted chords open.

Nobody will ever notice.

I'm doing this.

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    Just take a Maiden or Metallica or Megadeth riff and palm-mute all the open chords and play all the palm-muted chords open.

Nobody will ever notice.
    Reminds me of the dude I was in a band with for a while years ago. He came to my house to jam for a bit and he said he had three new killer songs written (when he said songs he almost always meant a single riff).

The first was Smells Like Teen Spirit but with the order of the chords reversed.

The second was the first four notes of the E minor pentatonic played in straight eighth notes ascending up the neck with no deviation in rhythm.

The third was the second song with the order of the chords reversed.

Leave a comment:

• sosomething
    replied

Nobody will ever notice.

Leave a comment:

• Edgecrusher
    replied

I usually write my best metal riffs when im not paying attention. Usually it will be something like we are just setting up for band practice and not everyones ready yet so im noodling around while talking to people and someone will go "Whoa that was cool what was that!?" The hard part comes trying to remember what i played just 2 seconds earlier before I replied with "what was what?"

I think the big thing is to not try to force writers block. Unless you have a producer up your butt and a contract on the line unless you can pop out 5 new tunes in the next 2 days just relax and let the music flow. If its in there it will find its way out.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied

I'm not a big metal head, but this approach often works for me when I'm stuck writing a song.

1. Take three songs that you know and like . . . they need to all have a similar vibe, and should be from the same genre.
    2. Break down all of the guitar parts in those three songs that you like and figure out what the guitarist is doing. (What scales/modes are being used, what kind of rhythmic patterns are being used, what tuning is being used, are the open strings being hit, how do the drums and bass fit together with the riffs to drive the song forward, etc.)
    3. Come up with a simple rhythmic chord progression (or drum/bass line) that you like. Now approach the riff writing using the techniques that you've discovered in #2.

Bam. You get a new riff for a song in a style that you like, written by you.

Leave a comment:

• DankStar
    replied

For starters, I'd keep the one you subconciously learned from metallica. Unless it's note for note/dead on, it's yours dude.

Leave a comment:

• TheLivingDead
    replied

Find/make an inspiring beat... Does it every time for me.

Leave a comment:

• karpathion
    replied

In Soviet Russia, metal write you.

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied

Originally posted by Jay 77 View Post
    Sidewinder, from Avenged Sevenfold's "City of Evil" album. Done and done.
    Take a look at the sig of post #2 in this thread. Kinda where I was going with that one...

Leave a comment:

• Jay 77
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Kam View Post
    Try to blend it with another genre to create your own style and sound. Like, say...Flamenco. I don't think anyone's ever done that before.
    Sidewinder, from Avenged Sevenfold's "City of Evil" album. Done and done.

Leave a comment:

• Kam
    replied

Try to blend it with another genre to create your own style and sound. Like, say...Flamenco. I don't think anyone's ever done that before.

Leave a comment:

• Virtual Kevorkian
    replied

Stop listening to heavy music for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

listen to and learn to play new music - heavier, thrashier, more progressive, more evil, more insane....whatever goes.

The point is to expand your horizons as to what metal is, get inspired, and then rock out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X