Sunday leftovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday leftovers

Well yesterday was a cooler day here in the desert so I finally decided to try and work on a project. For some time I've wanted to do a version of "I'd Love TO Change the World". I've been playing more fingerstyle acoustic/classical so I thought I would do it from the ground up. Usually when I record little bits I use backing tracks so this was going to be a little more ambitious, especially since I really seldom have time so I know only a small portion of what Sonar can do. Well after spending several hours layering multiple acoustic parts and bass as well as a heavier electric section I came to the realization that I really have got to spend a lot more time working on both the program and my playing in order to do what I hear in my head.
    So the only little bit I kind of like was the electric outro solo portion I noodled on. As usual I tended to drift quite a bit off the original. So, very far from a finished piece it is now simply Sunday's leftover. A fair bit heavier and angier than what I usually play
    Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
    Last edited by Al.C; 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM.

Re: Sunday leftovers

very cool Al
    what is your signal chain? (guitar? effects? amp? mic? etc?)
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
      very cool Al
      what is your signal chain? (guitar? effects? amp? mic? etc?)
      I used my PRS McCarty SC 24.5 with stock 59 pu's. THe lead was: guitar>MRX EVH Phase 90>boogie MK V>Celestion Heritage 12-65> Sennheiser 421>Sonar.

Despite buying a bunch of od pedals recently I still like the the mk 1 channel on the MKV by itself for leads. It sustains for days.

Unfortunately my recording and playing rendered most of my efforts to the trash bin. Oh well life is a learning process, just that work gets in the way with guitar playing.

Comment

Very cool, nice job!
        BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
        Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
        Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
        Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
        Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
        Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
        Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
        Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
        Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
        Gibson EBO

Comment

Originally posted by Al.C View Post
          I used my PRS McCarty SC 24.5 with stock 59 pu's. THe lead was: guitar>MRX EVH Phase 90>boogie MK V>Celestion Heritage 12-65> Sennheiser 421>Sonar.

Despite buying a bunch of od pedals recently I still like the the mk 1 channel on the MKV by itself for leads. It sustains for days.

Unfortunately my recording and playing rendered most of my efforts to the trash bin. Oh well life is a learning process, just that work gets in the way with guitar playing.
          thanks

sounds great

maybe tame the top end sizzle in the solo guitar voice ... your stuff usually has a more smooth singing quality than was shown here .. dunno if it was a digital recording artifact or what ...
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
            thanks

sounds great

maybe tame the top end sizzle in the solo guitar voice ... your stuff usually has a more smooth singing quality than was shown here .. dunno if it was a digital recording artifact or what ...
            T4D, you listened closer than I did. When I listened to it again I know exactly what you mean. At first I thought it was simply the guitar but then I remember tweaking my amp a few weeks ago. THe MK1 channel has a tendency to be too fat and dark if not tweaked carefully and on occasion I sometimes feel my leads get lost in the mix a little. I checked and saw that I had dimed both the treble and the presence as well as boosting the treble on the eq. I like that it sits up and growls a bit but it could definitely be "tamed" a little on the top.
            Funny thing is my original Santana 1 had a treble bleed circuit in it (so Santana could take way some of his top end) I removed it as I didn't like it. Around the same time I remember seeing him live and complaining that his leads were getting lost in the mix.
            Thankds for listening and thanks for the constructive feedback

Comment

Working...
            X