Chicken Picking tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Picking tips?

I've been listening to some country lately and I'm into it. how do i get up to speed?

Re: Chicken Picking tips?

Metronome. Practice, practice, practice. Increase speed on metronome. Repeat.

Comment

And don't forget the compressor

Comment

I use a hybrid picking technique .. pick between thumb & index, middle & ring fingers resting on the strings beneathe them.. I find this is conducive to "popping" the strings while pedal toning with the pick.. it also makes doing "steel guitar" licks sound smoother..

Tele thru a Twin, and a compressor in between helps

Comment

Sorry to Hijack guys, but sorry to sound stupid, but what's chicken Picking?
          Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
          you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Get a compressor and practice your ass off.

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
                James Burton is a good example in the video above.. Albert Lee is another chicken pickin monster.. it's a term that gets tossed around loosely and it generally refers to how country/rockabilly players play those stuttering popping clicking type phrases.. it involves string muting.. the sound reminded people of "chickens clucking and scratching in the dirt" or something like that..

when country guys do it.. it's chicken pickin.. when metal guys do it.. it's palm muting

Comment

ahh fair enough, thanks guys

now i got ya!
                  Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                  you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Working...
                  X