Top lines on guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top lines on guitar?

I usually think in terms of octave range when approaching instrumentation on a song I also tend to fall back on certain styles for adding a high end parts on guitar. What are some techniques you guys use to play over a chord progression, without just comping on the chords, to add top lines. Not melody lines like solos but more rhythm elements or filler for lack of a better term.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Re: Top lines on guitar?

You can't go wrong hitting the 1, 3, 5, and 7. It can sound pretty cool tracing out the same sequence on the high strings over your chord progression, but flattening the 3rd or 7th as needed based on the chords you're playing over.

Hendrix-style double stop licks also make for great fills. Base them on arpeggios, but throw in some additional notes - hit 2s, 4s and 6s as well for the major chords, just pull stuff from the minor pentatonic scale for the minor chords.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I love octaves, partial chords with open strings... I rarely define the chords I am playing. I tend to keep em simple and open..
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Good tips, thanks!
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

For filler, the notes you play aren't quite as important as the notes you don't play.
          Keep close attn to rests. They will make it more filleresque

Comment

I like to stay within the same key but add diff notes like 3rds/5ths, sometimes just noodling with a high octave helps then add the power cord 5th to it. also I know all the patterns for minor and major scales so I just noodle and find the ones that fit the rhythym guitar loop the best, and then mirror the drum rhythym somewhat.

Comment

Working...
            X