X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of my latest project

I don't know much about reggae, but here's what I did when we played a gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx0H0SM57rg

Signal chain: Epi Sheraton (P-Rails)-->late 90s Digitech RP 2000 (envelope filter, delay, reverb)-->Egnater Rebel 20 w/1x12

Video shot with Zoom Q3 on a tripod.
    Last edited by Sanford; 03-05-2011, 11:44 PM.

Re: Video of my latest project

I'm still trying to learn the nuances of playing reggae and it's getting a little frustrating. Every song we're doing seems to be in the same time signature with very little variation in keys. But on the lighter side the band is doing a regular Thursday night gig at a little bar in San Antonio. We don't get paid, but the owner lets us use the place to practice which translates into a very loosely structured gig without much pressure. We'll see where it goes from here.

The Digitech modeler has got to go. The only reason I've been using it is because I needed some reverb and I already had the unit, so why go out and spend money? The envelope filter is interesting, though. I have a wah, but sometimes the EF is better for the song and keeps me from wearing my foot out.

Anyone have any suggestions for an envelope filter pedal that has a decent sound and doesn't cost a bunch?

Comment

I dug it, man! Everything sounded great.

Comment

Cool. I know Sanford. He's jammed at my house a couple times before. He's a a seasoned experienced guitarist with a lot fine chops. He's IMO a session musician type- you give him a backbeat and a couple of nights practice, and he will deliver.. or even with no virtually no practice, he can wing it , and evideneced here on this video.
        He could step up and play with a first rate blues band ,no problem, or like you see here, work with a small black reggae project . Thats very cool- no elitism here! Props to my white bro Sanford!
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
          Heh.. thats nice of you man..Sanford told me about this last week. The mix was so awful the drummer couldn't hear the guitar player, and was just keeping a steady beat.
          They only had 5 minutes to warm up, and their set was cut short to two barely rehearsed songs, the best one of which is in this video.
          The singer is very good as you can hear, but has very minimal bass skills.
          He bumped his keyboard halfway through one song and it blasted the ears of both the drummer and Guitar player!
          man, this is gigging in the trenches!
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

The bass, vocals, and keyboard were all run through the DJ's setup. His speakers were right behind my head and the drummer's head. The keyboard "bump" was actually intentional: the singer had a delay pedal hooked up to it and thought it would be cool to just pound the keys for the effect. Unfortunately all it did was blast my ear with an audio spike through the horn right behind me. The drummer and I are currently working toward letting the singer just be a vocalist and keeping his hands off of any of the other instruments, but it's taking a lot of jedi mind tricking. If I can manage a midi hookup from my modeler to his keyboard then I can fill up some sound holes and the singer can dance around or something.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              Cool. I know Sanford. He's jammed at my house a couple times before. He's a a seasoned experienced guitarist with a lot fine chops. He's IMO a session musician type- you give him a backbeat and a couple of nights practice, and he will deliver.. or even with no virtually no practice, he can wing it , and evideneced here on this video.
              He could step up and play with a first rate blues band ,no problem, or like you see here, work with a small black reggae project . Thats very cool- no elitism here! Props to my white bro Sanford!
              Thanks for the kind words, bros!

Comment

Great job, it made me want to smoke a spliff.......lol...seriously awesome work!
                BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
                X