No announcement yet.

Yes, another recording question thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, another recording question thread.

Ok, I have an pod xt live that should arrive any time now. I want to get into lots of recording, but know next to jack about it. I always read about the recording programs. Do I need one to record or not? Can I still make killer songs without one? If I do need one I was thinking about the new cakewalk version. Any thoughts? I want it to be simple, yet versatile.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by presa_tito; 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM.

Re: Yes, another recording question thread.

it's not that hard of a question.

Comment

Re: Yes, another recording question thread.

The Pod is simply a multiFX device. You will need one of serveral available recording platforms. A stand-alone recording device such as the Boss BR-864 will include everything you need to get started, with the exception of mixdown. For that you will need a PC with a CD-R or DVD-R. In light of that, I reccomend skipping the stand-alones and use your PC if it has enough power. While clock speed is important, RAM is more important for multiple tracks. I have a 2.08ghz clock with 512mb DDR Ram, so I am able to use nearly all of my available 32 tracks with effects and not have stuttering. If you have a PC with decent bios, you will need an audio interface as well as recording software. I strongly recommend against the Line In that came with your computer. It is not optimized, and will give you lots of noise that detracts from the recording. A simple fix would be to install an inexspinsive soundcard. I purchased EMU's 0404 interface which has more than enough flexibility and quality for $100. The only downfall was that it only has 2 audio inputs (1L and 1R), but I pruchased an inexpesnive 6-channel mixer for $50 that has 2 mic preamps with phantom power. If you decide to add vocals to your recordings, you will want to have decent preams with phantom power for headroom. The soundcard also came with Cubase VST 4.0 (a 32-track recording program), and some effects patch libraries that have billions of 32-bit DSP effects to insert, or sub-mix. I have spent the last month recording covers so that I can become familiar with the progam and with recording techniques in general. For more in-depth information on recording, go to the following link.

Good Luck, and Enjoy!!

Home Recording dot com is a forum for anyone interested in home recording, project studios, mixing their own music and learning how to use studio and computer music products.
      ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
      X