new tune up -- looking for feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tune up -- looking for feedback

Recorded this simple little jig last weekend. I'm looking for some constructive criticism on the overall production quality. I used a duncan woody in my seagull and also mic'd the 12th fret with a LDC. There are only a couple parts done with electric guitar, and for that I used an 80's mij strat with an ssl-1 in the neck spot. Bass is just a squire J-bass through studiodevil virtual bass amp pro.

Cheers. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11156482
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Re: new tune up -- looking for feedback

Nice, man! Very calming.

Comment

Boy i really liked that! The drums could use compression I think and the bass too, bring them both up or the guitars down also if you haven't put a low cut filter on all the guitars at 120Hz.
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Thanks guys! innerdreams -- that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for! Everytime I use a filter to cut the lows on guitars it sounds "thin" or somehow less alive in comparison, but maybe that's why my mixes don't translate as well as I'd like on different speakers. I just realized that this mix doesn't sound good on my laptop speakers -- you can barely hear the bass, the guitars sound more restained yet still somehow too loud in the mix, the ehru sound cuts through WAY more than on my better speakers and is a little overpowering, and all the cool overtones on that strat bit with the huge reverb effect are inaudible. On cheap computer speakers, the bass actually makes the speaker fart out, and sometimes it sounds like the entire mix is clipping. But on my asp8s it sounds very rich and warm, and not much worse on my hs5's, which are supposed to be my "crappy" reference speakers. Your post has me thinking that I should probably always use compression and cut lows, and that maybe simple steps like that will help my mixes translate better. Sorry for the rant -- I haven't talked shop in way too long

I'll try your advice and post an updated mix. Cheers
        Last edited by AmirH; 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM.
        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
        Marshall 1960a
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Just for the sake of talking, haha, I usually do this for low cuts.

Kick 40Hz
          Bass 50Hz
          Guitars 120 Hz
          Snare 140Hz
          Cymbals and Toms 140Hz
          keyboards/pads 390Hz
          Male vocals 120 to 140 Hz
          Female vocals up to 250Hz
          You can apply a cut on the kick drum at 320Hz about -4 bds to open up the mix too.

Good luck!
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
          X