help with mics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with mics

So on a budget of 600$ what would be my best option for 2 overheads and a kick mic for recording metal drums

Re: help with mics

For real cheap mics the Behringer (I know most products u should stay away from) C2s are really cheap (about 60 for the matched pair) otherwise the MXL 603s get decent reviews. For a bit more money u could probably get an AKG C1000s or some Shure SM81s both which are used in studios and a step up from the chinese ones (MXL, Behringer) if looking for LDC you have other options. Also places like http://oktavamod.com/ mod cheaper mics for better sound. For kick drums either the Audix D6 (real clicky with lots of low end), the Beta 52a or AKG D112. Sites like recording review and recording hacks have a few comparisons of mics. For metal you probably want to close mic at least the snare as well if not the toms.
    Last edited by James Rock; 11-04-2011, 07:55 AM.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

Go for Mictek. Made right here, in Tennessee. Sweetwater's got them, and prices are decent.
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
        Go for Mictek. Made right here, in Tennessee. Sweetwater's got them, and prices are decent.
        This is a good set
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
          For metal you probably want to close mic at least the snare as well if not the toms.
          Depends on many factors including the style of metal. Careful placement using your ears is the key, not adhering to preconceived notions how 'how' to record. Mic'ing a drum kit is a laborious process that can yield GREAT results if you put the time in before you press Record. How good the drummer is at controlling dynamics is also a key factor; if not, a good compressor will probably be the most important piece of kit you bring to that session.
          For demos you also do not need to go crazy with mic'ing everything -- as long as you have some flexibility over the major elements -- kick, snare, and overheads, you should be safe. 9 times out of 10 I rely more on the front overhead for snare than an actual snare mic. If I were recording someone else's band I would probably mic the snare as a safety precaution however.
          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 11-05-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys I already have 57's for the snare and toms though what I really need is over heads and a kick. What about the audio technica 2020as a overhead(s)

Comment

AT 2020 is a very capable overhead. I usually do not use a matched set for overheads. My favourite combination recently has been an NTK for the front mic and an Oktava for the side mic.

Comment

Rode NT 4 for over heads! Beautiful stereo image.

AlleeCat

Comment

I've gotten great results using a pair of SM57s in an XY pattern for overheads.

You may wanna do that and then use something beefier for the toms. I have 3 Audix D2's that are killer tom mics and also work really well on guitar.

For snare, the 57 is good, but it's large and hard to position. You may wanna find a used or old stock Sennheiser e609. That's a killer mic for snare (and also guitar).

Comment

i like the AKG d112 for the bass drum, quite cheap too.
                    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
                      i like the AKG d112 for the bass drum, quite cheap too.
                      Me, too. There is an even cheaper and equally effective kick mic if you are a guitar player and own a 1x12 ....

Comment

pulled the trigger on a d6 and 2 audio technica 2035.
                        thanbks for all the suggestions

Comment

Come to think of it you could probably get the shure or audix drum pack. If you have any spare cash three sm57s with drum rim clips could be used for toms or get the shure pack or audix pack and sell the ones you dont need. Here is the Shure pack http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DMK5752/ could always sell the Beta 52 or Audix D6 depending on what you like better.
                          Last edited by James Rock; 11-24-2011, 08:48 PM.
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

Me, too. There is an even cheaper and equally effective kick mic if you are a guitar player and own a 1x12 ....
                            Ive got a spare 10 inch (from my pro junior) and one of these days I think I will try and set it up like a subkick.
                            Gondola Kid
                            Bandcamp
                            Facebook
                            JimijaymesGuitarist
                            Youtube

Comment

Working...
                            X