• Show
Clear All

Re: Vocals sound like ****te

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Who's Jon?
    You're kidding, right?
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
      You're kidding, right?
      Yep
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Uh.... Won't he need a preamp also?
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
          Uh.... Won't he need a preamp also?
          Not with the USB microphones.

If you get a regular microphone (XLR), you will need a mic preamp.

In these modern times, most computer audio interfaces (CAI) have a preamp built in, so your preamp is your CAI and your CAI is your preamp.

Cliff's: Snowball = plug it in and you're recording
          SM58 = plug it in to a preamp and CAI, and you're recording
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Cool.... good to know!
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              SM 57 is not a vocal mike...

...is a big-time misconception. It is one of the best all-around workhorse vocal mikes made, especially for the price. Shure list vocals as one of it's primary uses in their own instructions. I do live sound, and I highly prefer them to 58's, as they reduce feedback and help keep the mix clean. But 58's are good because most singers don't know how to sing within the ideal pickup pattern of the 57, or at least don't know how to stay there throughout a set. You can just kind of sing anywhere within a reasonable range/angle to the 58 and you will get a decent-sounding signal. Move off from a 57 or sing into it at a funky angle and the tone gets bad and the volume gets quiet. Additionally, you can easily fine tune the EQ of a 57 by changing your distance from it. Not so much with a 58.

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
              and what you just described has just illustrated that it is a better mike for vocals and it also means singers have more control over their voice by using a 57.

have a look round, plenty of people use 57's as vocal mikes we used 57's as our mainstay mics in the band that I had whilst at college, and it sounded alright with a crap singer, even she picked up a bit after learning how to use a 57 properly.

Man, just buy a 57 you won't regret it.
              Michael Jackson recorded the vocals to Billie Jean with one.

Comment

Working...
              X