banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCD (New Clip Day): Bogner EL-34 Shiva time ; )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCD (New Clip Day): Bogner EL-34 Shiva time ; )

Hey guys,

as promised over in the Bogner thread, I figured I'd play around with getting some sounds tracked and decided to use a Stone Temple Pilots song as the platform.

Amp is a Bogner EL-34 Shiva (non reverb model / older version aka gold footswitch non green chassis ones). It's put through a Bogner 4x12 with all Vintage 30s. Guitar is my trusty PRS McCarty with Wolfetone Marshallheads. Preamp is the standard fair API 3124+, Shure SM57 and Royer R-121 mics on the different V30 cones straight on; conversion is done from my Apogee Ensemble. Recorded in Logic Pro at 96k.

Rhythm tones are the overdrive channel with the bridge pickup (royer on the left and sm57 on right), the few wanking lead parts are the neck pickup with the overdrive + boost sections from the Shiva itself. The clean intro is the middle position (aka bridge and neck) through the clean channel on the Shiva.

Hopefully this will give some insight as to what the older Shivas sound like. Not much was really tweaked after having it recorded; I cut the Royer by a few db (the lowend can be overwhelming if not EQ'd and I kept it dry) and put a limiter on the master bus to keep it from clipping when I introduced the lead parts (normally compression and EQing would take care of that, but I didn't want to color it in any way).

Like it? Hate it? Think I should get a new hobby? Send comments my way

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: NCD (New Clip Day): Bogner EL-34 Shiva time ; )

I'm gonna regret listening to this one.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Oh my God. What a sweet, tasty overdrive you have there man.
      It nails the sound I've got in my head so much, it's not funny.

Maybe I'd have something a bit more open sounding for leads, but it's great.
      Any chance of you ripping it a bit harder in a solo?
      You played very gently on those solos, I'd love to know how it reacts to some heavy spankin'.

Terrific clip man, thanks! The V30s seem to fit the Shiva's tone just right.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Cool bro! I've never had a chance to play one, I like the rhythm tone a lot.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
          Cool bro! I've never had a chance to play one, I like the rhythm tone a lot.
          Thanks man! It's certainly got a unique character that's a hit or miss for a lot of folks. I kinda like the sag and compression of it, but it's strange how it's a very revealing amp even given the sheer amount of gain and compression inherent with it

Originally posted by Diego View Post
          Oh my God. What a sweet, tasty overdrive you have there man.
          It nails the sound I've got in my head so much, it's not funny.

Maybe I'd have something a bit more open sounding for leads, but it's great.
          Any chance of you ripping it a bit harder in a solo?
          You played very gently on those solos, I'd love to know how it reacts to some heavy spankin'.

Terrific clip man, thanks! The V30s seem to fit the Shiva's tone just right.
          Hey Diego,

thanks for listening! The few lead bits were pretty weak; I'm not really the best at "bringing the shred"

Nevertheless, I got some minor pentatonic blues wanking I threw together while I've still got the same mics in place and at the same levels. Let me know if this sounds more of what you were looking for

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
          Last edited by That90'sGuy; 12-11-2011, 04:56 PM.
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

Sounds great, man.

Comment

great tone! Any STP cover cant hurt nothin' neither

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                Sounds great, man.
                Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                great tone! Any STP cover cant hurt nothin' neither
                Thanks fellas! I figured I've talked about gear long enough that it's about time I actually started putting some clips up. I forgot how much fun it was to play around with setting up the mics and levels. I used the "hum" trick for mic placement on this one. I listened to where the hum was the loudest on the 2 opposite corner speakers and placed the Royer and SM57 directly there up against the grill (Royer tilted a little of course to keep from blowing the ribbon). Naturally there's enough variables here to color the sound (APIs aren't exactly the most transparent, nor are the mics), but it does a pretty good approximation of what it sounds like when you're facing a Shiva halfstack.

Comment

Working...
                X