To Compress or Not to Compress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Compress or Not to Compress?

Here's the same clip with the guitar mixed (post-processed) in 2 different ways. The playing is so so since I improvised over an unknown chord change. I like the tone though (Telecaster through Engl Screamer - first gain channel).

During the final mix I added a final bit of compression (to the guitar only) and it sounded "fuller", but it lost it's "sparkle" and "single coil vibe" (it's a Tele). So, I was listening to both tracks for about half an hour and couldn't work our which I liked better: the "Fuller Sound" (to compress) or the "Sparkly Sound" (not to compress).

The difference is very subtle, but which one sounds better?

To Compress

or

Not To Compress

thanks
    The "To Compress" clip?
    50.00%
    The "Not to Compress" clip?
    50.00%
    Last edited by Marinblues; 12-11-2004, 03:36 AM.
    °
    my stuff

Re: To Compress or Not to Compress?

you could double the track, one compressed and one not. you could even pan them apart to fill it out even more

i like the noncompressed tone though. you can tell it's a tele then.
    Originally posted by krankguitarist
    And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marinblues
      ..I like the 'Not To Compress'. ..Very pretty, keep up the good work brother! ..The other one lost some of the soul.
      A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
      This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
        Through monitoring headphones there were several more dynamic parts that were a little bit piercing to my ears. That's why I've voted for the compressed clip. Although the uncompressed one sounded more lively, I feel that the nature and atmosphere of this backing track suggests a compressed solo. But that's only my taste.
        +1.

Completely my opinion. This backing is very synthetic so, this compressed fits better imho although this sound lacks of directness.

Very tasteful playing. This so cool to me everytime.
        Last edited by StrangeSound; 12-11-2004, 05:25 AM.
        Originally posted by Guitarist
        Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
        http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Originally posted by RushOfBlood
          you could double the track, one compressed and one not. you could even pan them apart to fill it out even more

i like the noncompressed tone though. you can tell it's a tele then.
          I do that but I've never panned them over different channel. I mainly record the guitar in mono. I'll certainly try, thank for the tip!

M.
          °
          my stuff

Comment

thanks for the feedback, guys. I am often undecided between to versions of a mix since they both sound ok but yet, they are different. Compression, in particular, if used sparingly is a fantastic aid and tool, however it kills some of the nature of the original sound which some of us (especially the older pharts ) like. On the other hand, it does render the guitar more "recordable" and make the sound "bigger".
            °
            my stuff

Comment

Working...
            X