Short textured post-rock beat with ssl-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short textured post-rock beat with ssl-2

Just got done recording this little ditty -- there's lots of looping and repetition so it didn't take too long, but I figured it might be worth posting

Let me know what you think!
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Re: Short textured post-rock beat with ssl-2

Very cool, man!

Comment

Thanks!
      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
      Marshall 1960a
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

That was awesome, love to hear some vocal on this. Definitely would listen to this on the radio than most of the crap being played.

Comment

Like it, has a nice serene feel to it!

Comment

I love it! Tell us what you used. I especially like the haunting drone type sounds.
            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys

The piano is just one of the steinway presets in logic triggered with my midi keyboard, and the drums are superior drummer + a couple simple hip-hop loops. The bass is just logic's "analog deep bass" preset with some bending on the pitch wheel. I also used a choir sound in a couple places. I ran my mij strat through a podxt on the ac30 top boost model tweaked to my liking.

Those are the basic sounds, but the drone tones you're hearing are mostly from logic's space designer -- I ran a huge reverb on the piano and tweaked it until it started making harmonics in the background. The chorus was run through a much less aggressive reverb and I brought it down in the mix so it wouldn't be overpowering. I created the droning guitar effect with a combination of delay designer and a slightly tweaked drone tone preset I found in the "warped effects" section of space designer. I had the effects on while I played and I just tried to fill out the sound without making it muddy. So the drones are a combination of the guitar, keys, and chorus.

The analog synth sound also has a light reverb on it for texture. And the guitar sound at the end is podxt + the "candy fuzz" pedal in logic and a medium room reverb. I left the drums and bass completely dry, though I imagine I'd at minimum add some compression to the drums if I get someone to sing over it.

I originally threw this together in a few hours for my friend to rap over -- what type of vocals do you imagine over this lazyfinger?

Cheers, and thanks for listening!
              Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
              Marshall 1960a
              Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Very cool man, love it. The bass and drums could both use parallel compression, they're not sitting well in the mix. I think I would send the instruments to a parallel compression Aux too.

I could hear this going rap vs, sung chorus or all singing or all rap.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post

I originally threw this together in a few hours for my friend to rap over -- what type of vocals do you imagine over this lazyfinger?

Cheers, and thanks for listening!
                  First half of the song, I can definitely see some rap soliloquy there. For me, piano rhythm is reminiscent of Ashes Divide. The 2nd half when the fuzz comes in, I am getting some ethereal shoe gaze vibe. And I feel this is where it delivers. But I'm more into alternative rock, so personally this part peaks to me. I love how fuzz sounds, the leads sounds unique. So there, singing would work better if I were to hear it on radio.

Comment

Working...
                  X