Power Chord Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Chord Blues

I realized I've been relying on power chords waaaaaay too much, and there's like a bajillion cool chords out there. Kind of embarrassing actually that I neglected multiple-stringed chords for so long. Seeing Jolly play in person reminded me how cool they sound.

You guys got any ones you dig? I've been really digging E9/6. Maybe that's not a very weird one, I dunno. My book has this one below, minus the 2 on the A string. Fun to slide around with up/down the fretboard.

A few things I'm not used to dealing with are the tight fingerings (sometimes it takes me like 5-10 seconds to place my fingers appropriately without having dead notes on super weird ones). I have trouble jumping into them quickly. I guess they aren't meant to be played super fast (or I need to practice jumping into and out of them). I also have no idea on how to mix-and-match weird chords, what should follow what, etc.
    Last edited by DankStar; 01-26-2012, 09:43 AM.

Re: Power Chord Blues

ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
      I like throwing in add9 and sus2 chords in.

Sus2 chords sound great.
      +1

also Sus4
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

For me, the idea is to find the ways that I can play the next chord as close as possible to the fingering I'm using already.

Think of a D chord at the fifth fret of the A string.

Now, lay your first finger only on the seventh fret notes, on the d, g, and b strings to play that D. If you lay your third finger down on the 9th fret of the d string, you've now made a Bm chord. Putting your second finger down on the 8th fret of the b string at the same time gives you a G chord. Move that second finger to the 8th fret of the g string, and you've made a B major.

Doing the g shape above, move your first finger up to cover the 7th fret of the A string, and you've made an Em7.

Having all those chord shapes in one spot helps to make transitions quick.
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

cool, thx guys

Comment

Working...
          X