banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Dead Man Walking" (heavy metal, EMG81, S2.0, Recabinet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dead Man Walking" (heavy metal, EMG81, S2.0, Recabinet)

any feedback/criticism is much appreciated - New song, guitar solo, Superior 2.0 drums with producer preset, heavy metal guitars thrashier than my usual,

Im using my epiphone SG standard with EMG81/85 factory standard, thunderverb bass

new software I got is what I am trying this song out for:

ezmix with expansion packs

recabinet IRs

Superior 2.0 jason Suecof preset

cheers

Re: "Dead Man Walking" (heavy metal, EMG81, S2.0, Recabinet)

killer tune!

something's getting squashed a bit hard, not sure if it's the full mix, or parts within.

rockin ending - dig riding the crashes like that!!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      killer tune!

something's getting squashed a bit hard, not sure if it's the full mix, or parts within.

rockin ending - dig riding the crashes like that!!
      Many thanks brutha

thanks also for the constructive criticism, very helpful I have the same amount of compression on my master for the whole song, I think it is sqaushing and pumping when more bassdrum is there. So I dialed back the bassdrum and compession on my master, I think it helps some and the guitar solo sounds more full now.

beer and metal!

Comment

That was a china, but ya I like the riff... I think the bass is or was too loud and it was making the master comp pump and breathe. You can definitely hear it in the beginning. EDIT: on second listen it's just an EQ issue with everything fighting over the bass freq's. I think you mixed the bass to sound like that on purpose in the beginning. Right?

Is the new mix on the same link?
        Last edited by Jolly_Rancher; 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Man it gets heavy at your place! I always dig your riffs.

How do you like ezmix? Have you seen the "one knob" by Waves?
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

That kicked ass in mammoth proportions!

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
              That was a china, but ya I like the riff... I think the bass is or was too loud and it was making the master comp pump and breathe. You can definitely hear it in the beginning. EDIT: on second listen it's just an EQ issue with everything fighting over the bass freq's. I think you mixed the bass to sound like that on purpose in the beginning. Right?

Is the new mix on the same link?
              new mix is on the same link, many thanks brutha, and thanks for listening

I dont know mixing science but am all ears for any suggestions, the master comp definitely is pumping, I would rather pump then have less volume than other pro mp3s I listen to, I would like less pumping though, Im not too good with limiters on each track but each track is heavily compressed

I am rotating the bassling panning from right to left on the first part, and there is a second bass track that is not panning. that lasts for 5 seconds though, there is definitely rough patches of mixing in this song, I would like to smooth them out for sure

thanks for the listening and feedback, much appreciated

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
              Man it gets heavy at your place! I always dig your riffs.

How do you like ezmix? Have you seen the "one knob" by Waves?
              rock on my friend, many thanks

I like the idea of "one knob" that is what ezmix is really, it is nice for what I do, I like to write and record and mix all in 2 hours, so I just want to set up my patches and then finish.

You taught me the subtractive EQ principles and volume/compression principles that I know. I never read the manuals or studied, so I was kinda looking for a quick fix for some polish for my songs. I EQ some after the ezmix and throw on my fav voxformer compressor/eq to tweak sounds

I just want to mix better and faster and this helps some, especially for the guitar solo.

the demo is a free download, I tried it and things sounded way better and saved time from what I was doing, so I bought it: free demo http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=69

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              That kicked ass in mammoth proportions!
              awesome brutha, many thanks

Comment

There we go! Now that kick ass ending sounds even better!

That riff right after the solo reminds me of the riff @ 1:37:

Comment

can't believe you bang all that out in 2 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                    I like the idea of "one knob" that is what ezmix is really, it is nice for what I do, I like to write and record and mix all in 2 hours, so I just want to set up my patches and then finish.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    can't believe you bang all that out in 2 hours!
                    thats the goal, I hope to do it soon, I am gonna do it for my next song now that I have fiddled with my new software, and latency/resource hog issues

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                    There we go! Now that kick ass ending sounds even better!

That riff right after the solo reminds me of the riff @ 1:37:

]
                    Awesome brutha, many thanks for the second listen, I did a shelf about 500 hz frequency for the bass guitar and brought down the volume

glad you dig, that other riff is pretty chill too, I see the comparison, rock on!!!

Comment

Nice tune bro!
                      When the solo hits it reminds me of an old OMEN tune.... cant nail which one, but I like it.... cuz I LUVS me some OMEN!
                      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Just listened to it again to hear the changes. Sounds cool bro. I like the chords and the tone a lot.

Comment

I always dig the sounds you get. Freakin awesome
                          GEAR:
                          Guitars, amps, recording gear

Bandmix page

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                            Nice tune bro!
                            When the solo hits it reminds me of an old OMEN tune.... cant nail which one, but I like it.... cuz I LUVS me some OMEN!
                            Awesome brutha! thanks for the listen and awesome comparison! OMEN solos are crazy cool!

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
                            Just listened to it again to hear the changes. Sounds cool bro. I like the chords and the tone a lot.
                            Many thanks brutha, I appreciate this a lot,

I added bass after you posted this, I messed with this mix a lot

I was thinking about your comment a lot, I think it helped. I ended up using the ezmix for eq-ing the bass guitar. I tried to eq it and stuff but I dig the ezmix, you just throw up the fader and whalla! I am a bassist so I gotta hear some bass, I know a lot of thrash tunes eq bass differently though

Originally posted by StillLearnin' View Post
                            I always dig the sounds you get. Freakin awesome
                            dude, thanks so much, your stuff is killer - you really use that Axe FX to its full potential, I really dig that djent song you did still. excellent solos!
                            Last edited by everdrone; 01-30-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

oh, I like this article for mixing, I see that extreme metal removes 60 hz, I am not a fan of that because I like bass notes, I am more of a sabbath/alice inchains guy:

In the second part of our masterclass on the production of modern metal music, we explain what makes a great metal mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X