DAWs for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAWs for Dummies

Well, my thread about the computer went south in a hurry, so let's talk about DAW software. I'm thinking about grabbing the family's soon-to-be-extra Dell tower and declaring it "Father & Son's Recording Computer (Do Not Touch)". I would use it mostly for amp and equipment demos, the kid would use it for fooling around, learning recording, song writing. No plans for full-band recording at this point.

So, I'm looking at USB and Firewire interfaces in the $150-$300 range. My question is, how useful are the bundled DAW packages? Ableton Live Lite 8 and PreSonus Studio One Artist seem to be the most common ones these days. Are either of these packages going to get us started and do any real recording, or are they just going to make us wish for better software? What other free-to-cheap packages are out there these days, and what are their relative strengths and weaknesses?
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: DAWs for Dummies

I will beat Hunter to this thread and suggest Reaper.

Free to use, $60 to register the software. I just started the move to Reaper from Garageband and it's quite nice, although I've yet to unlock the full potential.

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Just about to suggest Reaper too.

Seriously good software, You can pretty much do the same as you can if you owned Pro Tools but it's cheaper, it's not tied to any Proprietary Hardware, and I would say easier to use too.

I also own a Line6 UX2,it works as you audio/USB interface and to top it off it's really great for virtually zero latency jamming, you just plug your guitar into the UX2, open up POD Farm (amp/effects sim) and jam jam away.
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

LOL @ Hunter. He doesn't even have to type his answers any more, just sticks in a smiley and lets everybody else do the typing.

I gotta go get started on my "John Mayer is awesome and if you don't like it, kiss my mankini" thread.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

There's also some nice menu mods available for Reaper. I forget which one I have installed, but they make everything a little easier to find over stock.

Comment

So.... Reaper is the only DAW worth considering these days?
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                So.... Reaper is the only DAW worth considering these days?
                Depends.

I still think that Logic is the best and fastest on a Mac. That doesn't apply to you, of course.

I also think that ProTools 9 is worth a look. They've finally caught up with the other DAW's in terms of performance and reliability. I'd only seriously be interested in ProTools if I were working with pro studios though.

All told, Reaper is pretty sweet, and it's the cheapest by far.
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Never mind - turns out my wife traded in the old computer on the new one without consulting me. No sense buying software if there's no hardware to run it on.
                  Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                  Rich Stevens

Comment

Working...
                  X