What are your go to mics for drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your go to mics for drums?

I'm not really looking for a whole set. I know 57s are good for snares, among other mics. I'm wondering what would be good for toms, bass drums, and condensers.

I'd like to keep it cheap, but not so cheap that my recordings suffer.
    Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Anyone?
    I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Re: What are your go to mics for drums?

57's for anything and everything will not do you wrong IMO. 58's for overheads are nice, though, and I also like them for ported bass drums.

Of course, I am just talking run-of-the-mill mics here.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I didn't say anything and everything. I said they were good for snares.

Comment

I've always used either 57's or Sennheiser 421's for snare/toms. Shure Beta 52 for kick, and Audio Technica 4041's for overheads.

If you don't have many choices, 57's will work for pretty much everything, and whatever vocal condensers you have for overheads.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I want to have many choices. I simply mentioned them because I know they're good. What mics beside the sm57 are good for drums?

Comment

Originally posted by gilaltom3 View Post
              I didn't say anything and everything. I said they were good for snares.
              Huh? How does that follow what I wrote?
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There are so many ways to mic a drum kit, you could buy one of the drum mic kits from Shure and get a good sound. As something to think about just get your tracks recorded and use drum replacement software to replace the drums with samples. You'll get better sounding drums with less hassle.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  Huh? How does that follow what I wrote?
                  I read "you're wrong" in your post for some reason. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                    There are so many ways to mic a drum kit, you could buy one of the drum mic kits from Shure and get a good sound. As something to think about just get your tracks recorded and use drum replacement software to replace the drums with samples. You'll get better sounding drums with less hassle.
                    I don't really like the way those drum samples sound.

Comment

My ex-drummer used Sennheiser e604s for toms, Shure sm57 for the snare, Sennheiser 845 for the overhead/cymbals, and an AKG D112 for each kick.
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

I was just about to ask about the e604s.

Comment

If I am using an XY over the kit for overheads, I usually use a pr of SM57s or AT Pro 32's. If I am using a front/side setup, I use an old Oktava 319 (front) and Cascade Fat Head II (side).

For snare, I like a Sennheiser e609 or Shure Beta.

For kick, I use a small diaphragm condensor inside the kick on the beater side, and a 10" Cerwin Vega bass driver as a low frequency "mic" a few inches from the outer head.

I do not use spot mics on the toms or other hardware, just 2 over heads, 2 kick mics, and a spot on the snare.

I usually like a pr of condensors (typically a pr of Rode NTK's) a few/several feet away as room mic's.
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I don't know what model it is, but I've got a Shure proximity mic that you would normally put on the floor, but which is the best bass drum mic I've ever heard, but a D112 works really well, too. I like a small condenser for the high hat, like maybe a Shure SM1, for overheads I really like a pair of AKG C1000-S', everything else gets an SM57.
                            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Really cheap the Behringer C2s are useable for overheads but the AKG C1000 and similar models are better (although cost a fair bit more). I like the Beta 52 on kick especially when you eq it a bit very useable. It all depends on cost but the above suggestions are what would work out fine and much higher up would be taste. I have yet to try my CAD tom mic and my Shure 4.1 (which I'll use for hi hat) hopefully they will be useable (got both of them way cheaper then a humble 57 would cost)
                              Gondola Kid
                              Bandcamp
                              Facebook
                              JimijaymesGuitarist
                              Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X