banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing tip: Anyone ever play an open mic held at a diner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing tip: Anyone ever play an open mic held at a diner?

I’m playing at an open mic tonight that’s held in a diner. It’s just an average mom & pop diner in Brooklyn and wanted some tips from anyone on the difference between playing at a diner vs a bar (like song types, genre ect)

I’ve played at plenty of bars, clubs but never a diner. I guess it’s a bit different because you have people there to eat not really drink and hang out (although there is a small bar.) I guess its more background music than anything, anyone every do this or have any insight?

Re: Playing tip: Anyone ever play an open mic held at a diner?

Truck Stop Vegas, baby. What happens in the Men's Room, stays in the Men's Room.

Honestly, I'd say some light acoustical stuff. Maybe Simon & Garfunkel if you've got a co-singer and you both can do it right. Otherwise, I'd stick with instrumentals, but nothing technical like Segovia, nor anything too ethnic like Flamenco.

And don't throw up the finger when someone yells "Freebird". Save that for the bar
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

smooth jazz is always good for diners.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        Truck Stop Vegas, baby. What happens in the Men's Room, stays in the Men's Room.

Honestly, I'd say some light acoustical stuff. Maybe Simon & Garfunkel if you've got a co-singer and you both can do it right. Otherwise, I'd stick with instrumentals, but nothing technical like Segovia, nor anything too ethnic like Flamenco.

And don't throw up the finger when someone yells "Freebird". Save that for the bar

hahaha someone actually did that (free bird!!!), 3 out of 5 open mics that happens. Great advice it went great, I played free fallin and some original stuff and they seemed to like it.

Comment

Working...
        X