Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A few solos from my album ...

Originally posted by Marinblues
    Nice. With a touch of delay it will be a killer. It reminds me a bit of the Iron Maiden guys I used to see when I was a teen.
    Yeah, a bit of a boost at about 3k, some 'verb and delay, and then we'll be cookin' with gas!!
    Thanx for the Maiden comment, as well ... they're my heroes! (no suprises there)
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

ok.. finaly taking the time to listen

gos solo - tasty, old school harmonies, whats not to love

black flag intro - i can hear alexander the great a little bit in the guitar part

BF solo - i think you sent me this one before, but this time it sounds even better than before! twin harmonies YAY (i'm one of those suckers too hehe)

plaza #1 - it's diferent from the rough mix, but not that sucky type of diferent, great one

plaza #2 - a bit diferent use of effects than the rough mix, but apart of that it's the same, no suprises here and you know where i stand on the solo hehe

plaza #3 - hmm, the mix is a bit more intense and faster, but this one has a better selection of notes and a cooler progression if you ask me

you just added more fuel to the fire ben. i hate you (till the album comes out LOL)

keep it up (and keep me updated) =P

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
        you just added more fuel to the fire ben. i hate you (till the album comes out LOL)
        keep it up (and keep me updated) =P
        Thanx, Davey!
        Your opinions are unique, since you've heard so many takes, trial solos, rough mixes, abandoned ideas, etc. I can honestly say you've heard more versions of the solos than Pam has!!

I totally agree about Plaza solo #3 -- to me, that's where it's at, esp going from that harmony line to the picking section at the end. The picking is straight up economy picking, but the left hand stretch is a biatch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
          Yeah, a bit of a boost at about 3k, some 'verb and delay, and then we'll be cookin' with gas!!
          Thanx for the Maiden comment, as well ... they're my heroes! (no suprises there)
          Oh, great! I was afraid of saying something wrong.....
          °
          my stuff

Comment

I have a couple more solos to post, but I'm out of room! I'll give it another day, and then I'll swap a couple out.

Comment

Added 2 more solos!

Comment

on to the gates - hum.. it's a bit chaotic, i'd have to hear the whole song, to see how it fits in as a whole. lots of jumping from phrase to phrase =)

endless days - LOVE the intro to the solo. it hasnt changed much from the demo version apart of a lick and passage here and there. twin harmonies kick ass as they go and the tremolo picking fits awesomely. it's better than the in the demo

Comment

Sorry to be so unresponsive. At work, we're undergoing a "server migration." In other words, things are FUBAR for the moment until our LAN gets worked over. But I finally got a chance to listen.

I like it, Ben. Your legato playing is more articulate than I remember from the demo CD. The Black Flag intro is very nice. If I had I lighter, I'd be waving it. I like Plaza Solo 1 best. I'm sure it's all going to come out great. Also, I'm looking forward to hearing your other shredder axeman in action, as well as your Harris-esque bassman.

So, if I understand you right, you are recording "dry." Do you find it difficult to record this way? My few recording attempts were difficult when I tried to play without a little delay, etc, so I ended up using delay from the amp.

-Matt
                  Originally posted by Scott_F
                  On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I have no problems at all tracking dry, Matt. Partially is because I play live totally dry as well -- no verb, no delay, nuthin'. To me, if it can work that way, then once I add the FX in post, I can build on that sound. I have found the simplier the better, sonically, when it comes to playing live. Things just get lost otherwise. So, I don't use play to the effect, in other words; I do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                      on to the gates - hum.. it's a bit chaotic, i'd have to hear the whole song, to see how it fits in as a whole. lots of jumping from phrase to phrase =)
                      Yeah, the riff underneath is weird .... not so sure this solo can be understood without the rest of the song! (Gotta love those sweeps, tho!)

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
                        I like Plaza Solo 1 best. I'm sure it's all going to come out great.
                        Thanx, Matt ... yeah, that first Plaza solo is just barrels out at ya ... That's the intro to the song, actually.

Comment

Working...
                        X