Advice needed on software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on software

I just picked up a mobilepre audio interface and was looking for some suggestions on what software I should use to begin recording. I use a PC and i'm not interested in getting a mac (even if the options are better etc). I am looking for something that also has good drum options to put to my guitar playing so if any programs are known to do that as well that would be great. About 10 years ago I used cakewalk to record stuff, but times have changed greatly and i'm sure the software has too.

Joe

Re: Advice needed on software

As I understand it, Cakewalk competes with ProTools these days (Sonar in particular).

But there are many free multitrack apps out there. Reaper usually gets recommended a lot.

As for drums, I'm not sure what's available for free (barring filesharing/torrent offerings), or how good it is in both functionality and tones. For simple recordings with decent sounds, I'd say get an Alesis SR16 or SR18 if you can find one cheap enough. I used an SR16 for over 10 years and got plenty of variety from the built-in patterns simply by swapping kit pieces around and adjusting the tempo.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

I started messing with Cakewalk in the late 90's. Sonar is what I've been using for about 5 or 6 years now - I still learn something new about it almost every time I do a new project. If you are going to get serious about it and really want to be able to work productively, pick one and focus on it until you really understand the nuances - that's what ends up locking you in to one product or another. I've tried a multitude of recording software over the years because someone would tout how good they were. In the end, things would drive me crazy like the interface or lack of features or just such a different workflow that it was non-productive. I would find myself headed back to Cakewalk - the Cakewalk program logic has always made more sense to my brain than others I have tried.

Everyone has their favorite and everyone has a budget but the bottom line is this - if you are tire kicking or financially constrained, explore the freeware market. If you determine you want to dive in, get a full-blown product like Sonar X1 Producer or Pro Tools. You won't be missing features and the only limitations with a pro-level app will be dependent on how deep you are willing to dive into it.

As far as drums - EZ Drummer from Toontrack is by far one of the best sounding and most straight forward midi drummers on the market. It's normally $179 on the Toontrack website but buy it from Sweetwater or somewhere that gives a big price break on it. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQjd4AodQTReYQ
      Last edited by StillLearnin'; 04-20-2012, 07:24 AM.
      GEAR:
      Guitars, amps, recording gear

Bandmix page

Comment

For programming drums + recording, I'd recommend either Fruity Loops, or Reason.

Cubase can also do it, and has the ability to use third-party VSTs for processing - which Reason does not (my biggest gripe with it).
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Reaper plus ezdrummer
          reaper has a very straight forward work flow that just makes sense. I had been trying to use audacity for a long time (and MADE it work) but wanted to add drums via a plugin,which audacity didnt support. I searched and ended up trying out reaper. About 10 minutes after I started using it I wondered why I hadn't done it before. I no longer had to MAKE the program work. Its $60 but free to try.
          $80 for EZ Drummer is a great deal. Normally I sample the patterns till I find one I like then just drop it onto the track.
          Last edited by Reload in 5; 04-20-2012, 08:18 AM.
          Originally posted by MikeS
          a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
          Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
          whats becoming of this generation
          We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Working...
          X