banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay...so I'm hooked on the Youtube Smooth Jazz backing tracks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay...so I'm hooked on the Youtube Smooth Jazz backing tracks....

These things:

Just 15 minutes to really stretch out and explore things. But I'm in a rut for adding some spice to it.

I mean - there is the obvious Em, E Pentatonic Minor, and E Dorian.

What else might one throw in there to give it some color?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Okay...so I'm hooked on the Youtube Smooth Jazz backing tracks....

Play a fifth up. For E minor, try using B minor pentatonic. Start lines in Em and cross over to Bm to hear the effect.

There are a million pentatonic substitutions in the big city. This has been one of them.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Force some chromatic notes in there. Be sly about it.

Comment

chord substitutions - use them to base your arpeggio and scale tones around. thats a great way to make repetitive modal solos interesting.
        I kinda like how the used a pic of my guitar in those things tho!
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
          Force some chromatic notes in there. Be sly about it.

A little chromatic thing that I like to do now and again: Play a very inside sounding phrase, then land a half step up or down from your target note. . . hold there for a second and resolve to the target note. Once you get the hang of doing this it makes you sound like a smarter guitar player than you actually are.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

....su gar....siru p....w allpaper.....ca ndy....ele vator......cake.....mallmusic....

Drat that is some slick stuff.....

Comment

Yknow how diminshed=every 3rd fret,
              augmented=every 4th fret.

The dimaug leapfrog= every 4th,3rd, 4th, 3rd...

So Emin: Try E - G - B - D - F# - A - C# - E - G#- B - D#- F -A#......

Now, theres 4 E's on your guitar to launch from, each will be different.
              But you said add flavor- so don't eat just onions for supper.

I got this idea (sorta) from watching my friends Vinnie Vincent HotLicks vid. (Not that he quite knows what he's doing, he's still a small basket of fresh approaches.) Once I got good at it, the grownups in the music store let me try the fat hollowbodies behind the counter.

I like GuitarStv idea- gonna try that.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••
              4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
              VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
              Dunc Dist Demo
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                Play a fifth up. For E minor, try using B minor pentatonic. Start lines in Em and cross over to Bm to hear the effect.

There are a million pentatonic substitutions in the big city. This has been one of them.
                yup - and if i am thinking about this right, he could also do A minor pentatonic

i always think about this in terms of the root major key of C ('cus sharps and flats give me headaches in my old age)

in any given key, there are 3 minor pentatonic keys contained within ... so in the key of C:
                the A minor pentatonic scale is present - the notes are A - C - D - E - G
                also
                the D minor pentatonic scale is present - the notes are D - F - G - A - C
                and also
                the E minor pentatonic scale is present - the notes are E - G - A - B - D

so if playing in a minor pentatonic that is functioning as the natural minor (e.g. A minor as natural minor to C), you can play a minor pentatonic with a root a 4th up, and another minor pentatonic a 5th up from that natural minor's root ...

so for an E minor pentatonic (serving as the natural minor from the root key of G major), the B minor pentatonic and A minor pentatonic should work

or am i all wrong on this?
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Smooth Jazz - cool stuff been around longer than you think , this first real big timers with this sound go back to :

The Jazz Crusaders :

George Benson was among those who ushered it in , he did it before the 70s by a few years and could be considered a leading vanguard on this type of Jazz .

This list include Joe Ferrell and Freddie Hubbard

This stuff was being put down in the early 70s . Wasn't called smooth Jazz though back then . Traditional Jazzers didn't really call it Jazz too .

Personally I think it cooks up serious gumbo . It's Rock-Jazz-Blues-Pop fused into what it is . I have been down with this stuff since it first popped back in the early 70s . The list of those who went in this direction is huge .

Hurricane Ramon
                  It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

mmmm - Penta up 5, yes....

I've used "displaced" pentatonics before on occasion. And as Bill said - the 3 biggies in the key always work.

Cool stuff so far - keep it coming dudes: one key tunes. How to "keep it interesting" ???

I like the idea of getting my diminished on. It's not just for shredding metal anymore!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      mmmm - Penta up 5, yes....

I've used "displaced" pentatonics before on occasion. And as Bill said - the 3 biggies in the key always work.

Cool stuff so far - keep it coming dudes: one key tunes. How to "keep it interesting" ???

I like the idea of getting my diminished on. It's not just for shredding metal anymore!
                      One key king : John Lee Hooker
                      It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        wha?
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I could really get into playing to those tracks.
                          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Subs that come to mind:

As noted, B minor pent or blues scale.
                            Bm7 arpeggio
                            Maj. 7 arp. up a 3rd (Gmaj 7)
                            Maj. 7 arp down a 2nd (Dmaj7)

Mix up the above with the obvious choices (Em7 arp., E Dorian, E phrygian, E Aeolian).

Scales are arbitrary groupings of chord tones and different extensions, but what matters is the chord tones. So as long as you emphasize correctly, or use a good sounding arp sub (see above), it will work. it is boring to stay in one scale or arp. for very long; and obnoxious to stay outside too long.

You'd think Bm blues would sound bad over Em7 since the b5 of that BmBlues scale is a flat 9 of the Em, a half step off the root, but it doesn't if you use it as a passing tone between the root and 9th and stay in Bm or Bm7 arp long enough to establish it. IT sounds really cool actually, and briefly implies both E phrygian and E Dorian/Aeolian.

And you don't even have to stick to that. You can mix in the 2nd of B into that blues scale, so you can use B C# D E F F# A as your scale, or just add the b5 of the B (F) to the B Aeolian scale (Avoid B Dorian as the maj 13 becomes a maj 3 over the Em, which sounds bad). All that becomes D Major with a passing tone between 2 and 3, which is the basis for E Dorian anyway. So keeping to just a pentatonic or blues scale is, again, an arbitrary grouping of chord tones and extensions over the Em.

Arp subs are like scales, they are really just groupings of chord tones and upper extensions that you can limit yourself to in order to get a certain effect. The more upper extensions in the arp sub, the more it "Floats". Over Em7, Dmaj 7 (which has the 9th, 11th, 13th, and 7th of Em7 and no triad tones) floats more than Gmaj 7 (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th of Em7).

Personally I think in scales only when I'm doing a very fast run, and even then I'll often use an arp. sub mixed in or instead of a scale. Think of the chord tones, then think about how each of the other tones in a chromatic scale sound around them and go from there.

The only note I'd stay away from over a minor or m7 chord is the maj 3rd, but I've even seen some folks use that to good effect.

Comment

Ya could try playing G minor pentatonic over E minor (or C minor pentatonic over the A minor track). That will bring out the b3, b5, #5, b7 and b9 of the parent key.
                              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
                              X