Need help on "Surf Music" tone and Solo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on "Surf Music" tone and Solo's

I'm working on a song and it's about Vegas and I wanted a nice "Surf music" tone for the solo. How do I get Surf Music tone from the pickup, position of pickup, amp setting ect ect. Also any advice on how to solo when doing this music as in scales or technique? Thanks in advance for the tips

Re: Need help on "Surf Music" tone and Solo's

A Strat.....
    A Twin Reverb cranked pretty loud
    Lots of Reverb & Delay
    Aletrnate picking very close to the bridge
    Heavy strings, high action!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Get one of these

AccountKiller

Comment

There are tons of surf music tones. Any pickup, any guitar, any amp can do surf. Dick Dale had one of the most "aggressive" tones in the genre. He was one of the loudest in the genre as well. He symbolizes surf music to many people, but he was atypical. Most surf tones are pretty clean and tame. Reverb use was all over the map, from none at all to drenched in it. I say just fool around till you happen on something you like. It will mostly be in the playing. It's a different use of guitar than in most forms of guitar music. It is used more like a trumpet in a brass combo than like a guitar in a rock band. Single notes, clean separation between them, melodic, etc.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

as Bludave said:
          A strat is good and is the most obvious choice...but you can use any axe preferably with a trem. The ventures liked mosrites and gretsches were popular too.
          A twin reverb is the best cos it has the big reverb tank as well as vibrato, but a pro reverb and many smaller amps work too. Pretty much any fender blackface style will do the job provided it has reverb and vibrato.
          Delay? Not really long or multiple delays, but a nice single slapback echo can be good.
          The high action, heavy strings etc thing is more a Dick Dale thing not all surf players do that.
          Itsabass is right about the way you play is very important.
          Have a listen to Dick Dale, The Ventures, Jerry Cole, The Atlantics and even some Hank Marvin and the Shadows to get some ideas.
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-17-2012, 04:57 PM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Try watching some old Beach Boys and Ventures vidoes. The song Wipe Out also comes to mind. I realize this isnt what you asked, but it might help give you a baseline your song's attitude and style.
            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

THANKS EVERYONE! It came out great when i finish the song I will post what I got thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X