Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-Audio USB Fast Track Question

Hey guys, i have a question:

- I got my eye on a M-Audio Fast Track, and i wanted to know how much latency have you experienced with it?

I'm getting 4ms plugging directly on my computer sound card (with Asio4All), so i wanted to keep that. Do you think it's possible, getting 4ms via USB with the M-Audio?

Like USB's slower than plugging directly?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Filipe Marquez; 07-05-2012, 02:56 AM.
    Nullius In Verba

Re: M-Audio USB Fast Track Question

I wish I could check for you, but that particular computer is 3,000 miles away at the moment. Something in the back of my head says it was around 1.5ms when I last looked, but I couldn't absolutely guarantee that. I've got a Focusrite Scarlett here though which is on USB. I'll check that later to see what it's doing. You could use that as a guide to what USB(2.0) is capable of.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Yeah, a friend of mine has a Focusrite w/ USB 1.1 and says he has no probs, but his is twice the price.

Also is this what USB 1.1/2.0, and Firewire are about? USB 2.0 and Firewire have less latency than 1.1? I never understood what the data transmission speed was about...
      Nullius In Verba

Comment

USB2.0 and FireWire are just capable of passing more data in a given time period than USB1.0. As far as I know, that has no direct bearing on latency.
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Hm...Ok, but bottom line, if i get 4ms plugging directly on my pc, will i get at leat 4ms using the M-Audio interface, or is there a chance i will get more?
          Nullius In Verba

Comment

Can anyone answer me this, or suggest me a good very low price interface, with which i can get 4ms or less of latency?

I really want to buy one, but i CAN'T test before. :/
            Nullius In Verba

Comment

Plug the guitar in the line-in of the computer, download and use Asio4All instead of Direct x, and play through Amplitube 3 free. SIMPLE AS ****.

Also, don't be a madman using audacity, be a simple kind of man and use Reaper. For the win!
              sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
              - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

If you want the lowest possible latency, get an RME unit. You'll pay a LOT more than an M-Audio unit though.

That said, on a properly set up computer, you should be able to get the M-Audio unit to a comfortable amount of latency where you can play guitar in real-time, as long as your computer isn't ancient.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

LOL, thanks Golden Vulture, but i just wanted something better if possible! :P

And Dominus, my pc is fine, more or less. Intel Core i3, 4GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 500 GB...

I just thought that maybe with the unit i would get better sounds and maybe be able to run more things at once, without losing the small latency i have...Problem is now i only have money to the simplest Fast Track, and from the responses i'm taking i'm questioning if it's actually going to be different than just plugging right in...
                  Nullius In Verba

Comment

Any interface is better than the built in soundcard.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                    X