Actually Practising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually Practising

I've been playing for over 20 years, but I think I was only improving for about the first 5 of those. I just never seemed to put myself through the work. How silly.

I've been off work for a few months and I decided to try and see if I could get somewhere. Slash is a childhood hero of mine, and so I decided to see if I could get Sweet Child down. I know that's probably considered one of his easier songs but for me it seemed pretty insurmountable.

There are a few mistakes, annoyingly - whenever I was recording myself I just seemed to get nervous which affected my playing. And sorry about the sound quality, I was recording my amp with the iPhone voice memo app!

The tone's not that close I know - hardly surprising when you consider Slash's rig vs. mine. Mine is an LP Trad with the 57 Classics, into a Line6 M13 emulating a CryBaby into a RAT, with a little reverb, and then into an Orange Tiny Terror and a 1x12 cab.

I've got the Slash pickups on the way, but I'm not going to be chasing the tone any further than that.

Anyway, I'm really happy that I managed to make a genuine improvement in my playing. It's given me a whole new drive, and also made me much less concerned with the acquisition of gear, and more concerned with just playing.
    Last edited by jumble jumble; 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM. Reason: change title

Re: Actually Practising

Nice playing, dude! Well done.

Can you modify the wah settings? It pumps a bit IMO.
    Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
    Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    Musicians are ****ing retards.
    Originally posted by ex-250
    Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

Nice job indeed.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by P.A.Foholic View Post
        Nice playing, dude! Well done.

Can you modify the wah settings? It pumps a bit IMO.
        Thanks!

Yeah, you can set the position for toe and heel to limit the range. And there's a whole bunch of different wah models in there too for me to try.

What do you mean by "pumps"? To be honest it could well be a lack of decent human expression going into my leg because at the moment I'm still having to concentrate pretty hard on my hands when I'm playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
          Thanks!

Yeah, you can set the position for toe and heel to limit the range. And there's a whole bunch of different wah models in there too for me to try.

What do you mean by "pumps"? To be honest it could well be a lack of decent human expression going into my leg because at the moment I'm still having to concentrate pretty hard on my hands when I'm playing it.
          By pumping I mean that when you get to the heel position the sound almost disappears.
          Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
          Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          Musicians are ****ing retards.
          Originally posted by ex-250
          Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

Ah. That's probably a recording thing - the iPhone was just on the floor a foot from the amp. I'll listen out for it though, as it's no trouble at all to just move that heel position up a bit. Thanks!

Comment

I looked at the M13. Because of the way it works, backing off the pedal was dropping the output level slightly as well as tipping the wah. Sounds way better now, I actually gave it a little boost to counteract that natural drop in volume at the "w" end. Nice and even now.

Comment

Working...
              X