Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please

I'm trying to work out a solo for something I'm working on. Here's a rough draft. Let me know what you think about it.

Major Solo Take 1

Re: Opinions please

sounds pretty triumphant (which I guess is a function of the major thing). have you thought about harmonizing one of the lines, like the ending run? if you're going to don the suit of armor, might as well top it off with a nice feathered crest.

Comment

a criticism of note choice (if I may):
      at the .15 second mark you are playing a Bb chord but you're playing a B natural in the lead.
      If that was intended- excuse my critique.

I can hear you're playing the lead strictly in a Dorian minor, which always leaves the issue of what to do with the sixth of that scale (B natural) in the event you want to use a Bb based chord.

BTW- thanks for your reply in my thread I asked for advice.
      I also remembered how happy I was when you replied in another thread where I asked about a Jazz/Jazz combo- now you're THE Jazz/Jazz guy to me!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        sounds pretty triumphant (which I guess is a function of the major thing). have you thought about harmonizing one of the lines, like the ending run? if you're going to don the suit of armor, might as well top it off with a nice feathered crest.
        yes it did have a medeval dark ages sound, put him in the iron maiden!!

Comment

The first phrase sounded Lynch-like and I would continue that into the next phrase (with a little palm muting thrown in for some notes maybe). I'd also switch to the rhythm pickup at 8 seconds and leave it there. Other than that, I'd say... it's purrfect.
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Dig into some of those notes! I like the whole thing but it feels too linear and soft. Add some attitude here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
              at the .15 second mark you are playing a Bb chord but you're playing a B natural in the lead.
              This stuck out to me too.

Kind of Kirk Hammett-ish in that way; to the effect that I never really knew whether he was making a conscious choice or just didn't know any better.

Nevertheless, I take things as they are. I thought the clip was cool.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Thanks for listening and for the feedback.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                That's a good idea but I tend to harmonize stuff a lot so I tried to stay away from it this time. That's the extent of the lead line in this song so I the singer will be pissed if I solo any longer. Maybe I'll experiment with a quick harmony at the end of the solo.

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post

I can hear you're playing the lead strictly in a Dorian minor, which always leaves the issue of what to do with the sixth of that scale (B natural) in the event you want to use a Bb based chord.

BTW- thanks for your reply in my thread I asked for advice.
                I also remembered how happy I was when you replied in another thread where I asked about a Jazz/Jazz combo- now you're THE Jazz/Jazz guy to me!
                I don't know because it was improvised. When I recorded it, I had an idea of what I wanted to hear but no idea of how I was going to do it and that's the way the solo ended up coming out. I know what you are talking about but not understanding 100% what you're suggesting. If I was on a Bb then I didn't realize it because I was just following the vibe I got from the key change for the solo.

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                The first phrase sounded Lynch-like and I would continue that into the next phrase (with a little palm muting thrown in for some notes maybe). I'd also switch to the rhythm pickup at 8 seconds and leave it there. Other than that, I'd say... it's purrfect.
                Thanks. I'll try the neck pickup. I don't know much about George Lynch but I'll listen to some of his stuff and maybe be able to copy some of his style to incorporate.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                Dig into some of those notes! I like the whole thing but it feels too linear and soft. Add some attitude here and there.
                It was improvised so the solo isn't set in stone. I just kind of liked the way it came out overall so I wanted to see what other opinions were before tweaking it. I'll try your suggestion though and see about making it sound raunchier.

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                This stuck out to me too.

Kind of Kirk Hammett-ish in that way; to the effect that I never really knew whether he was making a conscious choice or just didn't know any better.

Nevertheless, I take things as they are. I thought the clip was cool.
                I don't know because it just happened in the moment. I'm not real fluid in my fretboard knowledge so if I don't work a solo out note for note, then I'm bound to hit a sour note here and there.

Comment

"I don't know because it was improvised. When I recorded it, I had an idea of what I wanted to hear but no idea of how I was going to do it and that's the way the solo ended up coming out. I know what you are talking about but not understanding 100% what you're suggesting. If I was on a Bb then I didn't realize it because I was just following the vibe I got from the key change for the solo."

In that case- as I re-listened to it it sounds really good. I have no artistic criticisms.
                  blaze away!

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood

I don't know because it just happened in the moment. I'm not real fluid in my fretboard knowledge so if I don't work a solo out note for note, then I'm bound to hit a sour note here and there.
                    I can totally relate to that. I usually have to compose my solos start to finish or I fall flat on my face.
                    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                      It sounded good until that 15 second mark. It just threw me off a bit... I also, agree with the above. It sounded like there was no beginning, middle, and end, just notes put together. Do something towards the end to make it stick out. Other than that, I thought it was really cool.
                      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X