Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allan Holdsworth Wanna-be ;-)

Hi!

I am fascinated by Allan Holdsworth and I started to play all of my jazz theorie knowledge and imho there are some nice chops but many messy stuff in.
    At the end itīs getting better but overall itīs confusing >.<

Messy

I played to Isotope by Allan over a piano and bass solo.
    Originally posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Re: Allan Holdsworth Wanna-be ;-)

In this kind of music...you need a line to follow
    Theory is not enough, you need to hear what you want to play or you'll get lost in the music.
    So just keep pushing it, jazz fusion is very free and that means that you will need to have something to say other than theory.
    Dig up some backtracks, do not think of the chords, just go by ear and get a feel for it, it will open up alot of doors.
    Theory is good too, keep it up man, because you had some very nice things going on

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
      In this kind of music...you need a line to follow
      Theory is not enough, you need to hear what you want to play or you'll get lost in the music.
      So just keep pushing it, jazz fusion is very free and that means that you will need to have something to say other than theory.
      Dig up some backtracks, do not think of the chords, just go by ear and get a feel for it, it will open up alot of doors.
      Theory is good too, keep it up man, because you had some very nice things going on
      Youīre 100% right. At the moment I donīt have the feel for something like that but I still try. I recognized that my picking is too slow when I play melodic minor runs etc.
      I tried something different and itīs called Go and play outside.

Comment

Holdsworth is among the amazing creators in all of music. He cannot read music and the freedom in his playing is maybe paralleled only by John Coltrane. I have heard some folks that can do a sort of an immitation but I have never heard anyone approach his level as a player. He amazes me. He is a good influenece to have for sure. The stuff he did with Tony Williams is always in the CD player.

Your gonna be doing some real cool stuff in the upcoming years, hang on to all these recordings, they are very cool.
        Last edited by kevlar3000; 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM.
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Yeah I have completly forgotton about that regarding Holdworth...love that free flowing style.
          It will be a good journey Strangesound

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
            Haha, I love Cantaloupe Island! I also have the backing CD you played.

I liked this more than the first track. Seems to me you got lost in the progression there. Or maybe it was me who couldn't follow it, don't know. But the Cantaloupe-take's very nice. You've got some very cool tone there as well. Based on your playing you would surely like Pat Metheny & Herbie Han****'s version. It's a very dynamic take, Metheny uses lots of chromatics, simply incredible. I'm gonna show you that somehow, it's worth listening to.
            Thank you. Iīm suprised how cool you can play over this song....Herbie did a great job!
            And yeah Allan...heīs an enigma just incredible I cannot play something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              Holdsworth is among the amazing creators in all of music. He cannot read music and the freedom in his playing is maybe paralleled only by John Coltrane. I have heard some folks that can do a sort of an immitation but I have never heard anyone approach his level as a player. He amazes me. He is a good influenece to have for sure. The stuff he did with Tony Williams is always in the CD player.

Your gonna be doing some real cool stuff in the upcoming years, hang on to all these recordings, they are very cool.
              He canīt read music? Yash..Iīm surprised but it shows at the same time that theory can either improve or blur your creativity.
              Thank you for the kind words..Iīll practise this stuff because with something like that you canīt go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                Yeah I have completly forgotton about that regarding Holdworth...love that free flowing style.
                It will be a good journey Strangesound
                I agree Allan has a great flowing style
                Thx

Comment

Interesting ... just like Holdsworth. I can appreciate it, mentally, it just doesn't move me, ya know? Nothing against your playing; you're wicked good. Keep it up!!!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                    Interesting ... just like Holdsworth. I can appreciate it, mentally, it just doesn't move me, ya know? Nothing against your playing; you're wicked good. Keep it up!!!
                    Thanks for the flowers

There is a lot work to do and I hope when Iīm playing and phrasing the things better youīll even like it Thatīs my goal

Comment

Working...
                    X