vibrato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibrato

i just found out you can do vibrato by sliding your finger up and down the fret, without bending the strings! i must be real dumb not to fuiger that out before!
    but it raises the question, what els have i missed?
    how do you guys perform your vibroto?

Re: vibrato

You can do it the way you described, but the way to get that real great sound is to use your wrist and forearm. I use either my middle or ring finger to push the string up, hold it a second, then begin the rocking motion with your wrist/forearm. Just hold your finger steady. When using your index finger, you can do the same, or pull down on the string whilie rocking.

Good luck,

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

i see. that means iv bin doing it all wrong!
      i can get nice fast wide vibrato just by moving the finger in a silly up and down motion along the fret. i have trouble putting vibrato on short noter if i use my wrist...

Comment

Originally posted by shred me good
        i see. that means iv bin doing it all wrong!
        i can get nice fast wide vibrato just by moving the finger in a silly up and down motion along the fret. i have trouble putting vibrato on short noter if i use my wrist...
        Theres no such thing as a Wrong way to play guitar, Sure look at Eddie Van Halens Picking hand, That doesn't look "right"
        I like to do it your way too sometimes as you can get a really nice sutle vibrato doing it that way, Doesn't Clapton do it that way too?
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
          Theres no such thing as a Wrong way to play guitar, Sure look at Eddie Van Halens Picking hand, That doesn't look "right"
          I like to do it your way too sometimes as you can get a really nice sutle vibrato doing it that way, Doesn't Clapton do it that way too?
          You're right there is no "wrong way". It takes practice using your wrist and forearm, but it's well worth it. Clapton uses his wrist, as does Leslie West, Mick Taylor, Gary Moore, etc... Slding your fingers works well too, for a subtle vibrato effect. Clapton did use that on the live version of "Sleepy Time" on teh Live Cream album, but usually uses his wrist/forearm.

Jeff
          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Vai moves his fret hand in little circles for vibrato ... very cool to watch, very hard to execute! I was able to sit in on a clinic he did in NYC two winters ago, and it basically covered 3 things: vibrato, legato technique, and (of course) finger tapping.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Vibrato and bends are perhaps the most important part of good phrasing. I exaggerate mine and keep it slow, kinda like an opera singer LOL. Bad vibrato can really mask good guitar playing. I spent hrs practicing it as a kid and still ain't happy with it.
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by shred me good
                i just found out you can do vibrato by sliding your finger up and down the fret, without bending the strings! i must be real dumb not to fuiger that out before!
                but it raises the question, what els have i missed?
                how do you guys perform your vibroto?
                that's the George Lynch method =) he's been doing that for years...not all the time, but he uses it alot..or he used to anyway...his leads these days aren't what they used to be...

ANYWAY, I don't think you're doign it 'wrong'....from how you described it below, you do your vibrato the same way I do mine..almost like you're fanning something..heh..

I'll give you an example of vibrato to avoid though...KIRK HAMMET...he may have the worst vibrato I've EVER heard...fast, shallow and no feeling...

I may not talk **** about my playing, but one thing I will say..I'm very proud of my vibrato...I vibrato not just notes, but chords as well...sounds cool..
                Splawn QR
                Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                My Gear Pix
                My SPLAWN Clips
                My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

so many different ways to vibrato, i use my middle finger and my index also to vibrato a chord or a broken chord just shake the whole neck or just yer hand....very cool!
                  "Dream as if you will live forever. Live today as if you will die tomorrow."
                  --James Dean

"Well the telephone was ringing, thats when I handed it to Liz. She said this isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is" --"Wolfman's Brother" by Phish

Hohner Acoustic
                  Fender JV Strat
                  Fender MIM Strat
                  Fender Ultimate Chorus DSP Amp
                  Vox Wah

Comment

try a little B.B. vibrato??

very unique and cool
                    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live today as if you will die tomorrow."
                    --James Dean

"Well the telephone was ringing, thats when I handed it to Liz. She said this isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is" --"Wolfman's Brother" by Phish

Hohner Acoustic
                    Fender JV Strat
                    Fender MIM Strat
                    Fender Ultimate Chorus DSP Amp
                    Vox Wah

Comment

do what slash does, he pretty much uses his entire guitar for his vibrato, but it might break your neck of your guitar!
                      Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Originally posted by shreder75
                        that's the George Lynch method =) he's been doing that for years...not all the time, but he uses it alot..or he used to anyway...his leads these days aren't what they used to be...

ANYWAY, I don't think you're doign it 'wrong'....from how you described it below, you do your vibrato the same way I do mine..almost like you're fanning something..heh..

I'll give you an example of vibrato to avoid though...KIRK HAMMET...he may have the worst vibrato I've EVER heard...fast, shallow and no feeling...

I may not talk **** about my playing, but one thing I will say..I'm very proud of my vibrato...I vibrato not just notes, but chords as well...sounds cool..
                        You're right about the Metallica boy. It is irritating!

Comment

Also, along the length of the string, like violin players-or is that what you're describing? I don't understand what you mean by 'up and down the fret without bending the string'. I'm a little slow........
                          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
                            Also, along the length of the string, like violin players-or is that what you're describing? I don't understand what you mean by 'up and down the fret without bending the string'. I'm a little slow........

LOL I was thinking that too
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
                              yeh its from watching a violin player that i saw it.... i must be the slowest here not to fuiger it out sooner!
                              i know what you mean about kirk hammet, it sounds like ****! that and a slow bend with wah will make me punch any cd player broadcarting mettalica!

what should i aim to have my vib rato sound like? i know youl all say "its personal preference" but what do you prefer? could anyone post a sond clip of there idea of good vibrato?

and yes im told that steve vais little circles are a cross between both types of vibrato....damn him! but he dus play with silly little floppy strings! you want srv's vibrato! power!

Comment

Working...
                              X