No announcement yet.

Any Death Metal/ Metalcore singers on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Death Metal/ Metalcore singers on?

I'm playing in a kind of thrash/ kind of metalcore/ kind of alternative metal band. We lost our singer last month or so, and due to not really wanting to go through the process of finding a new one, I've been designated singer. I've got a pretty good melodic voice, but other than full out screaming (which I've heard damages your voice, as I've noticed), I don't really know how to go about do it.

I can do some Corey Taylor style shouts and stuff (think "Spit it Out", "Psychosocial", and the new Stone Sour record), but how do I go about getting some Matt Heafy- Robb Flynn- The Guy from Meshuggah style vocals? I don't want to copy them, but I would like to know how to get something similar to their technique.

Any help is appreciated, including talking me out of scream singing.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Re: Any Death Metal/ Metalcore singers on?

Torrent the Art of Screaming.

I've heard people dig it.

If you like it, then buy it.

Comment

the only absolute rule you need to know is that if you're hurting your throat, you're doing it wrong.

Aside from that, experiment and find what works for you. some people are just better suited for certain types of vocals than others. For example, I can do pretty good death metal vocals, but my black metal vox have a lot left to be desired. but then again I usually go for a sorta Ihsahn-esque thing which in itself is kinda hard to do.

look up growl tutorial vids on youtube, and practice practice practice.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
        the only absolute rule you need to know is that if you're hurting your throat, you're doing it wrong.
        Yeah. I was hurting my throat after we did a cover of In Waves by Trivium on Friday. That's why I asked. I youtubed some videos today, and saw that my false vocals are right on. I just need to work a lot more on my diaphragm muscles.
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

It's not going to be quick or easy. Most of the gutterals, screams and even rasps in my works took years for me to develop to the point where I'm happy with the tone, stamina and the ability to change to melodic on the fly and also not have a wrecked voice for a show the next night.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
            Yeah. I was hurting my throat after we did a cover of In Waves by Trivium on Friday. That's why I asked. I youtubed some videos today, and saw that my false vocals are right on. I just need to work a lot more on my diaphragm muscles.
            yup, the diaphragm is where the power comes from.

Also, record yourself a lot and adjust your technique until what you record sounds good without any editing.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
              yup, the diaphragm is where the power comes from.

Also, record yourself a lot and adjust your technique until what you record sounds good without any editing.
              I haven't recorded myself, but your right, that would a help a lot. Thanks for the advice. Really Appreciate it.
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Working...
              X