banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to get started recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to get started recording?

I decided I want to work on an album and put it on bandcamp. I want to record guitar through my amp, not just direct, and vocals, and also some synth stuff (like drums).

I need an audio interface, a mic, and a midi keyboard so far I guess. Anything else?

For the mic I am just going to get a Shure SM57, what do you guys think I should get for an audio interface and midi keyboard. I'd like to spend less than $200 on both those things. What are some decent options?
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: What do I need to get started recording?

I have a presonus audiobox 22vsl that sound great, as an interface

for drums I recommend toontrack

recording an amp is tough, but great mic placement and a great mix will get you there!

best thing to do is to use what you have, and then get decent stuff; music production is A MONEY PIT!!!

Comment

For $200.00 you should be able to get yourself set up with all those things. Of the 3, I'd say spending the most on the mic is the most sensible strategy, as it's likely to have the longest lifespan. The SM57 is a good safe bet here for amp work.

For interfaces, try to find one with switchable phantom power, as you never know when someone with a condenser mic might show up. Take a look at the M-Audio FastTrack stuff, as well as the Focusrite Scarlett options. There's some very good value stuff in the small USB interface space at the moment.

For keyboards, have a look at the Akai MPK Mini - it has built in drum pads

You may need to look around for good used items to keep within the budget, or perhaps shop floor deals, but you should be able to get there.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

any midi controller keyboard will do the job. The main issue is latency in your soundcard. The more powerful the soundcard, the less latency.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-11-2013, 02:28 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Presonus and M-Audio make some decent audio interfaces.

I am currently using a low-end Yamaha mixer with USB as my recording interface. I paid $100 for it at GC, used in its original carton. It is a decent audio interface for recording, but can also be used stand-alone to mix a small band in a pinch. Other than the plastic housing of this unit, it shares a lot of decent circuitry with its more expensive cousins in the MW line. You can switch between 44.1KHz and 48KHz sampling rates, and it came with a copy of CuBase.

You can probably get a decent audio interface for less money, but something like this will give you more flexibility down the road. Something to consider...
          Originally posted by DreX
          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

^^ Good call on the Yamaha. I have the MG166CX, and whilst it doesn't have the USB option, it is a great way of bringing multiple sources into the PC via my M-Audio Delta 2496. I can also testify to how well made their mixer products are. Definitely worth looking into.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I'd suggest a Tascam unit for an audio unit. My US-122 was 40 bucks used and more than carries its own weight!
              Originally posted by kilphody
              There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

For not much more money than the 57 you can get a Sennheiser e609, which IMO completely kills the 57 for guitar. It's not as high mid focused, and you hear a lot more of the guitar's frequency range.

However, if you want a cheap do-it-all mic that can record acoustic guitar, electric guitar (not super loud though), vocals, and percussion, look no further than the Audio Technica AT2020.

Audio interface: Focusrite's current line DESTROYS anything else in its price range. For your budget, the Scarlett 2i2 would meet all your needs and has very good pre's and converters.

For keys, there is a vast range of price and quality here. Generally if you want a more solid feel to the keys, or more than an octave or two in range, you will need to spend more than you are budgeting for. I have an M Audio Oxygen 49 that is good enough for me.
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an inept geezer, I'm not ready to recommend the Scarlett 2i2 to anyone. Having too much trouble with the clipping input and timing issues. Even my silly m-audio jamlab doesn't displace the track position like when I use the Scarlett. Latency I don't mind - but the track better be where it should at the end of a take, not starting a half second later. But, it's the cheapest with a proper balanced out, so I'm using the dumb thing. Most of the timing issues are on my Mac, not my PC for what it's worth.

If you don't need a balanced out and want dirt cheap, the tascam us-144 mkii works well right off the bat - pc or Mac.
                  Last edited by DankStar; 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X