Minor Blues backing for you guys :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minor Blues backing for you guys

Yeah, sorry about that . . . I don't know why I wrote Dan . . . thanks a lot for the outside lessons. Still a little rusty on my theory lessons, but I'll definately give them a once over. I find a lot of my soloing has a very pentatonic/ natural minor/ major scale sort of bent and I've really been trying to branch out a bit.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

nice playing from all the contributors ... i recommend a progression like this for the users group day jam at SD this spring!! ...

and thanks for the link lessons link, scott ... i have a quick question about something ... when "lesson 1" says that you can use minor pentatonic scales from the 1, 2 and 5 over a minor 7th chord ... i am not sure exactly how that translates ...

for example: over the Bmin7, obviously B minor pentatonic fits (the "1") ... but for the "2" (C#, right?) are you saying that C#min pentatonic scale works over a Bmin7th chord? (this has me puzzled, so i assume i am understanding it wrong) ... same Question for the "5" ... would that be F# minor pentatonic of Bmin7th chord? (this one makes more sense to me)

B min 7th chord = B D F# A

C# min pent scale = C# E F# G# B
      F# min pent scale = F# A B C# E

i think hear a minor pentatonic scale from the IV sounding better than the II ... in this case, E minor pentatonic scale over B min7th chord ...

E min pent scale = E G A B D

or do i have this all wrong

any help would be appreciated

ps - tips for playing over the V7#9 would be good too, but maybe in another thread
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I think I can answer this but I'll let him fill in the details..

Each key has 3 minor pentatonic scales lying within it. If your playing a Bm7 minor blues, think of the B as the 6th and the Em as the II and the F# as the III. All diatonic chords/scales in the key of DMaj. This would be inside though nothing fancy really,, but thats how I approached my clip.
        Dirrty Hairy - A Tribute To Hair Metal

'05 Splawn/Mansel Custom Strat
        '95 PRS Custom 24
        '89 PRS CE 24

'05 Splawn Quick Rod
        '04 Splawn Quick Rod
        Splawn 4-12
        Marshall JCM 800 4-12

Comment

oh i'm so tempted but so damn busy at the mo - lol

maybe next time

WEBSITE =
          HTTP://NN.ROCKS.IT

Comment

Originally posted by DirrtyCraig
            I think I can answer this but I'll let him fill in the details..

Each key has 3 minor pentatonic scales lying within it. If your playing a Bm7 minor blues, think of the B as the 6th and the Em as the II and the F# as the III. All diatonic chords/scales in the key of DMaj. This would be inside though nothing fancy really,, but thats how I approached my clip.
            thanks .... did you mean F#min as the III?

i was also thinking of Bmin7 as the IIm7 of the key of A (a la B dorian)

cheers,
            t4d
            gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Sure B Dorian works fine, but Iprefer the more inside B Aeolian myslef as the VI
              Dirrty Hairy - A Tribute To Hair Metal

'05 Splawn/Mansel Custom Strat
              '95 PRS Custom 24
              '89 PRS CE 24

'05 Splawn Quick Rod
              '04 Splawn Quick Rod
              Splawn 4-12
              Marshall JCM 800 4-12

Comment

C# Pentatonic is a VERY good sub. Look at the tensions of each note against the B-7 chord. Use it for a very Dorian sound. If you play B pentatonic you get NADA. Just the same tonality everybody gets. Fwiw, Scott Henderson uses the pentatonics up a whole step (like C# against B-7) all the time.

Scott
                Lot's of music stuff here www.scottlernermusic.com

Comment

Originally posted by scottl
                  C# Pentatonic is a VERY good sub. Look at the tensions of each note against the B-7 chord. Use it for a very Dorian sound. If you play B pentatonic you get NADA. Just the same tonality everybody gets. Fwiw, Scott Henderson uses the pentatonics up a whole step (like C# against B-7) all the time.

Scott
                  thanks scott .. i'll give it another go
                  gear list in profile

Comment

Remember, it is all in the phrasing. Don't just play regular old blue licks up a whole step
                    Lot's of music stuff here www.scottlernermusic.com

Comment

yeah, that's for sure ... i just need to come to terms with what i am trying to do across the changes to avoid sounding like i am just generically wanking stale blues licks ... i need to get to a point where i dont have to think (and overthink) the playing ... like with that progression in this thread, with the Bmin7 pull-off to an Amaj ... i get wrapped around the notion of trying to play lines against both the Bmin7 and the Amaj ... so something that sounds like interesting tension for the Bmin7 doesnt necessarily work for the Amaj ... THEN when it goes to the IVmin7, i want to not just sound like i took my phrase up a 4th (same for the Vmin7)

i'll have my take on this backing track up either later today or tomorrow .. i'd be interested in an honest critique

thanks for the guidance
                      cheers
                      t4d
                      gear list in profile

Comment

Nice take Kent! I really like the tone here, which Carvin were you playing?
                        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Thanks, FretFire.

I actually used my Diodati 59Q.
                          But, it does have the Carvin H22n/C22b combo in it.

Kent
                          sigpic
                          http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

Crap!
                            Just realized
                            I had this in the wrong thread.

Kent
                            sigpic
                            http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
                            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

Very nice! I actually couldn't tell what guitar you were using, but you have so many nice Carvins I had to ask .

Comment

Very possible, I forgot what backing this thread is for .

Oops.

Comment

Working...
                                X