banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you switch between souces in a studio environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you switch between souces in a studio environment?

I'm bit confused on this fellas. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an Eleven Rack and run it through a SS power section into some high end home audio speakers I have here. How would I go about using the same power amp and speakers if I wanted to use those as say audio from my computer, CD player, etc...

I'm assuming the best way to do this would be to use a mixing console of some sort, but I have no clue on what I'd need. It doesn't have to be huge or anything like that. Maybe 4 or 5 inputs to switch between. Or if there's another method, I'm all ears. I'd also probably use this to get into doing some recording etc... so expandability would be a plus. I'm pretty new to this area of guitar playing, so give it a kiss and please keep is simple sirs!
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: How do you switch between souces in a studio environment?

What I do with my AxeFx is use it as a sound card with my computer. The only downside is that it needs to be on if I want audio through the monitors.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

The concept of small mixer always causes tears. Mixers are complicated and have lots of features so you easily end up with something that lacks just want you need.

I currently put together my guitar stuff with a Yamaha MX1204 which, as I only found out after it was shipped to me, lacks a solo function. WTF? But that's common with mini mixers now. If you don't want that and if you have space and want a nice mixer for cheap you can pick up older models. For example I have a Tascam M-216 on the attic that can be had for very little money used. Older mixers are only expensive if they were high end.

In the field of modern small mixers I recommend Yamaha or Samson (same company as Zoom). I'm a Behringer hater and I don't think Mackie is something I want to try.

Alternatively, a bunch of mini switches in a shielded box with holes can do very well, too. Or a rotary switch.

Comment

You can use any multi-channel audio interface for the computer. Run the first set of outputs from that to the power amp and speakers, and run the outputs from all your gear into the interface.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I'm not familiar w/ this kind of stuff at all. Do you have any examples of this that I can look into?
          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
            I'm not familiar w/ this kind of stuff at all. Do you have any examples of this that I can look into?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
            X