Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush LimeLight Solo W/ AXE FX and PRS

Rush LimeLight Solo

Hey just checking out my new AXE FX. I have never played an Alex line (played every Geddy Line as a Bassist!)
    I actually tweaked a patch in the AXE FX called 'LimeLight'. I am a total newb with the Fractal.

This solo is not technically hard, but the phrasing took me 3 hours this morning to understand. Its not spot-on, but I just don't do that. It is close enough for a backing track for the greatest band of all time.

Fractal Audio AXE FX and my PRS Studio. Cheers!

I would have posted this in the riff game, but alas I would be breaking the law again...ahahahaha!! That is funny!

Much Respect,

Rodney Gene
    Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Re: Rush LimeLight Solo W/ AXE FX and PRS

Nice job there Rodney - I have to content myself with the rest of the track.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

you're a great playa

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        you're a great playa
        Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
        Nice job there Rodney - I have to content myself with the rest of the track.
        Hey bros. Thanks! I look forward to digging in to more tones/tunes.
        Chris, I'm sure you could do this. The solo really is intermediate level. Its just the signature phrasing that is a challenge (at least for me). You really have to tune in to Geddy and Neil to know where to play the little quotes.

Cheers!

Comment

Nice job! I was just listening to this today in 5.1 DTS. I got my best friend the HighDef disk for his birthday. One thing I noticed is the effects on Alex's guitar especially on Limelight sound a lot wider and more pronounced. It is like hearing Moving Picture for the first time again.

Comment

Damn, thats great.

And the riff game under my regime really has no rules, so I wouldn't worry about that.
            Originally posted by Aceman
            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I dig that, more please! the bass sounds great too.

Comment

Heh heh. GREAT job Bro
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Awesome job Rodney! That sounds pretty spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                    Awesome job Rodney! That sounds pretty spot on!
                    Thanks Joe! It aint, but I appreciate your coolness.

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                    Heh heh. GREAT job Bro
                    Gracias! I have heard your own Alex clips! Great job yourself!

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                    I dig that, more please! the bass sounds great too.
                    Thanks. Bass is Geddy from the backing track. I taught myself bass on Rush, Yes, Crimson, Styx, Genesis, Zappa etc...as a young lad, but mostly Rush. I owned a moog, Taurus pedals, even 2 kimonos! ahaha! Truth! Still my greatest influence even as a country/swamp music artist.

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                    Damn, thats great.

And the riff game under my regime really has no rules, so I wouldn't worry about that.
                    Cool! Just keeping it light. Ill try to get in on this week. Looks like the end of the line. Consider starting again with a new thread, change the vibe, open the windows and let the fresh energy flow. Maybe it could be collective, inclusive and creative. I would dig that.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    Nice job! I was just listening to this today in 5.1 DTS. I got my best friend the HighDef disk for his birthday. One thing I noticed is the effects on Alex's guitar especially on Limelight sound a lot wider and more pronounced. It is like hearing Moving Picture for the first time again.
                    Epic Epic Epic album. Would love to hear the HighDef version. I appreciate this band more and more the older I get. I stopped being a fan of the MUSIC at Power Windows, but never have ceased to be inspired by the band themselves and every album up to PW. I used to play 2112 on bass from start to finish. Ha, Geddy ruined me as a bassist! Took me years to learn how to groove after that. ha!!

Cheers all!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                      I stopped being a fan of the MUSIC at Power Windows, but never have ceased to be inspired by the band themselves and every album up to PW.
                      Funny me and my buddy said the same thing yesterday when listening to Moving Picture. Up until Grace Under Pressure I don't think RUSH wrote a bad/mediocre song.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                        The solo really is intermediate level. Its just the signature phrasing that is a challenge (at least for me). You really have to tune in to Geddy and Neil to know where to play the little quotes.
                        I'd say that the feel and subtlety of the piece is at a VERY high and advanced level... the vibrato bar work is also at a very advanced level. The swoops, lift-offs and vibrato are almost impossible to emulate... Alex himself cannot "nail" the solo live.

It was most likely comped from a few different takes and put together like most of the great solos of the 80's.

There are sections in there where the bar is depressed and lifted up just as the note is struck... this can also be accomplished through sliding up to the note... Alex leaves that out as does pretty much every other person I've ever heard play that solo.

The fast wiggles are also hard to emulate... that sort of almost spastic style fast vibrato that Tony Iommi employs is very hard to replicate. I'm pretty sure that Alex's vibrato bar style was influenced by the John Cipollina of the Quicksilver Messenger Service who sort of pioneered the whacky and psychedelic use of the vibrato bar. This solo seems like a nod to John.

A sort of sequel to the Limelight solo is the outro solo in Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" played by Neil Taylor who apparently did it one take. Another epic John Cipollina influenced solo.

Alex Lifeson is one incredible whoop arse guitarist who gets almost zero respect in the guitar world... I'm really glad that you are giving him the time of day and also giving him the special Rodney Gene treatment.

Oh and love the patch and tone... really nailed that dry marshall sound paired with analog chorus.

Great job Rodney.
                        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                          I'd say that the feel and subtlety of the piece is at a VERY high and advanced level... the vibrato bar work is also at a very advanced level. The swoops, lift-offs and vibrato are almost impossible to emulate... Alex himself cannot "nail" the solo live.

It was most likely comped from a few different takes and put together like most of the great solos of the 80's.

There are sections in there where the bar is depressed and lifted up just as the note is struck... this can also be accomplished through sliding up to the note... Alex leaves that out as does pretty much every other person I've ever heard play that solo.

The fast wiggles are also hard to emulate... that sort of almost spastic style fast vibrato that Tony Iommi employs is very hard to replicate. I'm pretty sure that Alex's vibrato bar style was influenced by the John Cipollina of the Quicksilver Messenger Service who sort of pioneered the whacky and psychedelic use of the vibrato bar. This solo seems like a nod to John.

A sort of sequel to the Limelight solo is the outro solo in Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" played by Neil Taylor who apparently did it one take. Another epic John Cipollina influenced solo.

Alex Lifeson is one incredible whoop arse guitarist who gets almost zero respect in the guitar world... I'm really glad that you are giving him the time of day and also giving him the special Rodney Gene treatment.

Oh and love the patch and tone... really nailed that dry marshall sound paired with analog chorus.

Great job Rodney.
                          Ha! Thats alot more than I thought into it and I will take that as a compliment! It is for me. This is my first guitar with a tremolo (bigsby aside) and on this solo, I never let go of it, ever. I over do it for sure. I can hear it now. The depressed lifted/struck parts don't sound quite right because I had never done that physical mechanic before as a musician. I see now I am actually playing it in the 'wrong' places sometimes. I learned the phrasing yesterday (slowing it down over and over for 3 hours) and then today watched Alex play it. No big. Alex has always been a favorite (1/3 of one of the most bad-ass bands in the world) and Rush is the biggest influence on me as a musician. Period. Geds playing is in my spirit.

As for tone Zen, honestly the AXE FX makes it easy to sound 'right'. I'm still so new with it. Once the tone is in the right zone, the playing seems easier to pull off almost like it draws it out of you. I know you understand.
                          Thanks for the good words ZMB, I appreciate it bro, and I appreciate you!

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                          X