• Blog: Drum Programming Basics

Click here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ROLAND.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	5828661
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Blog: Drum Programming Basics

Nice, though I will add that you can use the hi-hat pedal to "fake" a hit on single-bass patterns, and leave the hands free for doing Tom-boogies.

And you can do things a real drummer couldn't do to save a bit of time in post-editing, like hit a low-tuned floor tom along with a kick to get that "cannon in a canyon" kick sound.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

I'd add don't be afraid to change tempos through a song. A riff may feel better slightly faster at the end of a tune versus near the beginning for example.
      Last edited by DankStar; 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

This is a tad harder in software packages and even hardware drum machines. I've got one song that uses 3 different tempos, within 20-30 BPM of each other, and had to make 3 different presets for my drum software (BFD 2), then export them as wav files individually and hand-align them in Audition.

My Alesis SR16 would only laugh at you if you wanted to mix tempos. Best you could do is even divisions (say if the Song starts at 80 BPM, you can drop to 40 or go up to 160 just by changing the beat spread, but dividing any finer than that requires turning off the Quantization and stepping through one beat at a time, and you can't loop from 1 to 99 in reverse, so if you want to shift the hit at beat 87, you start at 0 and go up. If you pass it up, you have to loop around again).
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

in a DAW it's pretty straight forward - you just automate the tempo to change where you want it to, as many times as you want & the midi drums just follow along. one of my favorite things about computer recording! I remember it being a pain with a physical drum machine - id have to keep punching in at the right spot, not to mention the unit would fill up after so many patters/tempo parts and you'd have to dump the data down to tape and load the next series (with a boss dr-550 at least) - what a drag that was!
          Last edited by DankStar; 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
            in a DAW it's pretty straight forward - you just automate the tempo to change where you want it to, as many times as you want & the midi drums just follow along. one of my favorite things about computer recording! I remember it being a pain with a physical drum machine - id have to keep punching in at the right spot, not to mention the unit would fill up after so many patters/tempo parts and you'd have to dump the data down to tape and load the next series (with a boss dr-550 at least) - what a drag that was!
            Yep. Tempo changes in Logic and ProTools are easy peasy.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Hmm. Never really played with the MIDI automation in Audition, so I tend to build the drum track in BFD 2 entirely, or GuitarPro, then import the MIDI file into BFD 2, tweak it, then export it.
              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                Hmm. Never really played with the MIDI automation in Audition, so I tend to build the drum track in BFD 2 entirely, or GuitarPro, then import the MIDI file into BFD 2, tweak it, then export it.
                Nah, you should keep your MIDI stuff entirely in the DAW and just use BFD as a plug-in. Much, much easier to manage that way.
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

On the other hand, doing it my way has led to me being able to place tracks in the right spot almost by instinct

Might try to run it as a vst. I know it can't do ReWire. But then, Audition has no MIDI composing feature like Sonar etc. I'd hafta build it in GPro, then set that as a MIDI track in Au3, and I don't even know if you could assign a vst for a MIDI track, or even route it to a vst/plugin bus.
                  Seems like it would be just as much "work" as I'm doing now.

Might dig into it and Blog it
                  My Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X