No announcement yet.

Instrumental - Stormcloud (guitar only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrumental - Stormcloud (guitar only)

It's slow, it's gloomy, it's bluesy, and it don't care about no other instruments.

Signal chain was:

Fender strat -> Boss NS-2 -> OCD -> H&K Tubemesiter on the crunch channel (no gain boost)+TC Nova Repeater in the fx loop -> Retro 30 -> SM57 just off-center and pointing towards the center of the dustcap -> Focusrite scarlett 2i2 -> Reaper -> izotope ozone reverb (just a wee bit to add some depth to the mix)

Edit: didn't like version 1, was compelled to re-do it.

Here's the 2nd version.

Used the Cutlasscaster's little '59 (neck pos) in parallel mode for the rhythms -> OCD -> amp. Boss CE-2 chorus in the loop instead of the TC.
    For the leads, I used my SG, both '59s, the OCD, and the TC Repeater instead of the chorus. Everything else is about the same as version 1.

If anyone can guess which SD endorser I was copping tones from you get a prize (disclaimer: prize may or may not amount to jack squat)
    Last edited by CTN; 07-11-2013, 05:34 PM.

Re: Instrumental - Stormcloud (guitar only)

Sweet tone there dude!

Comment

Thanks yo. As nice as the tone is, I think I'm gonna end up re-recording the whole thing over. Too many screwups in the rhythm parts for my tastes. Also, I think I could probably do a better job with the lead.

Comment

I think it sounds pretty decent IMHO. Real smokey blues with an introspective vibe.
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I forgot to leave a comment here- I listened to this and Shackles twice yesterday. They are both fantastic songs.
          My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
          The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
          Originally posted by CTN
          I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
          FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

thanks guys!

I'm still gonna re-record it, a step down, and with humbuckers so I don't have to get annoyed by single coil hum lol. Gonna try to keep the basic tones the same though...we'll see how that goes.

I also decided to simplify the rhythm part, instead of arpeggiating almost every chord, I'm gonna pluck whole chords so that there's some space between them which will hopefully let the rhythm track breathe a bit better and let the lead stand out better as well.

Comment

Added version 2 up top. Lemme know whatcha think.

Comment

I do suppose that I do like the 2nd better, definitely sounds really good. Very cinematic, would be a great fit for a movie soundtrack.

I wish I could answer the riddle though... can we have a small hint?
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

edit: clue removed because....well I'm not quite sure why.
                  Last edited by CTN; 07-11-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

You gotta remove that clue... it's too obvious. I will refrain from answering, 'cause it ain't Scott Ian that's for sure. lolz!

Comment

lol

Comment

YAYUH! That 2nd version is bangin'!

And I have no clue who you're emulating there. Sounds really good though.

Comment

thanks dude. I much prefer this 2nd version too. It's much more in line with what I wanted outta this song.

as for the clue...hahaha ok well I'll make it super easy... his initials are J.B.

lol if someone guesses this wrong I'm gonna have a breakdown.

Comment

No guesses?

Comment

Bonamassa?
                              My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                              Originally posted by CTN
                              I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                              FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Working...
                              X