Fundamentals for modern country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundamentals for modern country?

I'd like to add some country to my repertoire, and am curious what you country players would consider your basic "must knows"?

I have a good grasp on fundamental music theory (keys, scales/modes, intervals, etc) so I suppose I'm looking more for application things I can practice. Common chord progressions (e.g. ii-V-I in jazz), incorporating open strings & double stops, and so on.

Thoughts?
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Fundamentals for modern country?

Learn open string runs in every key. Lots of double stops, simultaneous bends, bending and pulling off to release, pre-bending too. Learn to play triads of every chord in every position. If you don't already, practice picking with your fingers in addition to your pick.

A and G are the most common, with E, C and D showing up regularly too. Variations on I-IV-V (i.e. I-V-I-IV, I-IV-I-V, I-V-IV, I-V-I-V, etc). Occasionally you'd find a II or VII. I even know a country song with a III in it.

Check out these videos:

NASHVILLE GUITAR WITH GUTHRIE TRAPP2:30 Intro Song by Steve5:00 Guthrie Trapp Career7:45 Guthrie Trapp Improv 19:10 Getting Started in Nashville as a Guitar ...

Also, this guy has some really good lessons that helped me out a ton when I was first breaking into country.
    Go Packers!

Comment

Awesome, exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thanks!
      After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Whoops, I totally forgot the third link!

Check Out The NEW Guitar HUB: : https://www.SizzlingGuitarUniversity.com Learn HOT country and blues guitar licks (with a pinch of jazz) —with free downloads, tabs and real-band backing tracks —Jam Sessions! Now, you can join Doug Seven's brand new guitar HUB (like Netflix for guitarists) where you can stream EVERY guitar lesson course Doug's created (Unlimited!)

A lot of the country stuff just takes thinking about techniques and stuff you already know and applying them differently. Hammer-on/pull-off stuff being an example.

Another good example of a good country trick is the bending one note of a double stop, while keeping the other the same. Especially if you do a pull off while the note is still bent, the string snaps back down, and if you place your fingers right, gets muted by the finger holding the other half of the double stop. It makes a cool sound.

If you need any thing else, let me know! I don't claim to be an expert country picker, but I was in your exact shoes about two years ago or so.
        Go Packers!

Comment

Hi Matt42,

Amazing song, Will need to play and sing like that.
          ford repair huntington beach

Comment

Working...
          X