banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarzio clip (BEFORE my SD Custom Shop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio clip (BEFORE my SD Custom Shop)

Hey guys.. just wanted to share a quick clip of a tune using my Tubemeister with DiMarzio pickups. Those pickups are NOW coming out.. and in their place are my two Duncan Custom Shop pickups... The clip features my Tubemeister in Silent mode (via REd Box Out).. with Dimarzio Evolution bridge and PAF Pro in the neck.

https://soundcloud.com/peterjcruz/at...marzio-evo-and

You can FULLY expect a repost of this clip with the NEW Duncan's once they are installed. =) And I'm planning to track my album with the new Duncan's.. so that should be LOTS OF FUN!!

thanks for listening...

Re: DiMarzio clip (BEFORE my SD Custom Shop)

That sounded pretty good. You managed to dial out some of the sharpness that I usually hear in the Evolution. Have you tried and Evo 2? If not then you should check it. I like it a lot more than the original Evolution. Looking forward to hearing the Duncans too.

Comment

Thanks. No I haven't tried the Evo2. In fact.. if anything the next one I would have tried was the Breed. Seems like it was more of what I was after... But it's funny.. I bought the Evo like 10 years ago.. and only put it in my guitar last year. LOL!! I have mounted the new Custom Shop Duncan's in.. and strung it back up. I will probably get to soldering later this week... Looking forward to hearing the new mayhem.. =)

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
      That sounded pretty good. You managed to dial out some of the sharpness that I usually hear in the Evolution. Have you tried and Evo 2? If not then you should check it. I like it a lot more than the original Evolution. Looking forward to hearing the Duncans too.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterJCruz View Post
        Thanks. No I haven't tried the Evo2. In fact.. if anything the next one I would have tried was the Breed. Seems like it was more of what I was after... But it's funny.. I bought the Evo like 10 years ago.. and only put it in my guitar last year. LOL!! I have mounted the new Custom Shop Duncan's in.. and strung it back up. I will probably get to soldering later this week... Looking forward to hearing the new mayhem.. =)
        The Breed is awesome, but it doesn't have the thickness and punch of the EVO 2. The Breed sounds more brutal than it actually is because I find it to be a quite versatile pickup for many styles. However, I have heard plenty of great sounding thrash tones with the Breed as well. To me, the Evolution sounds a bit like it's void of something indescribable. The EVO 2 isn't like that. It's warm with great midrange cut, thick enough but not overpowering, and adequate power without being too high output. The PAF Pro neck is going to be very hard to beat. You just can't get that kind of sound in any other pickup. I'm looking forward to hearing your custom shop Duncans as well as learning a bit more about how you customized them.

Comment

What guitar are they in? The tones you get are great, bravo.

If I can offer some constructive criticism: The beginning when the guitar kicks in, it doesn't sync up with the drums. Idk if you were trying to or not, but as is it feels a little sloppy. To my ears anyway. I just think it would sound more "in your face" if the stroke pattern followed the kick. A minor nit-pick. Sounds fantastic otherwise.
          Originally posted by Rockstar216
          Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Thanks!! The guitar is a Carvin ST300C. It has swamp ash body wings, maple neck thru, ebony board and SS frets.. I JUST got my new Custom Shop pickups installed last night... going to get acquainted with them now. =)

I I think you're the first person to mention the "sync." I think it's the latecy on my end.. I will double check it.. thanks for the heads up. =)

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
            What guitar are they in? The tones you get are great, bravo.

If I can offer some constructive criticism: The beginning when the guitar kicks in, it doesn't sync up with the drums. Idk if you were trying to or not, but as is it feels a little sloppy. To my ears anyway. I just think it would sound more "in your face" if the stroke pattern followed the kick. A minor nit-pick. Sounds fantastic otherwise.

Comment

No problem, like I said, its very minor, and probably only bugged me.

I can't wait to hear how the new pups sound compared to those. Hopefully you'll post an update.
              Originally posted by Rockstar216
              Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

As promised.. here's the "AFTER" portion of the comparison... This clip is the same song (I just re-did the guitar tracks with the SD pickups)...

Here's the "AFTER" of my demo experiment. I used the same project in Sonar X3.. only I recorded NEW guitar tracks using the new pickups. All the mix settings were the same.. and I used the SAME guita

The bridge/rhythm pickup is based on a Distortion but I told MJ to tone the HIGH's down and bring up the MIDS and BASS... Marry an Invader tone to a Distortion. Specs: DCR 17.1k, and Alnico 5 magnet
                The neck/lead pickup is based on the YJM Fury NECK pickup.. I told MJ I wanted the Fury Neck pickup but to fit a humbucker neck position on my guitar: Specs: Alnico magnets (rods? looks like a strat pickup pole pieces). DCR: 29.6k

I used ALL the exact same settings on the amp, Green Screamer pedal, and in my DAW for EQ and compression. I just copied all the settings over from those channels to the new ones to keep everything the same. So the ONLY difference is the pickups. The amp was a Tubemeister 18 recorded DIRECT in SILENT mode. Red Wirez cabinet IR's was used on the direct signal. 1960 cab. G12M with Pr30 microphone 0in on cap for the IR.

My "studio" tones will be different.. this was for the comparison... I will tweak with the new pickups. =)

Rock on!

Comment

that new bridge pickup sounds particularly good in that mix
                  do you find the YJM to be less sonically greedy than the PAFpro, or does the new bridge pickup just cut through better?

Comment

Well, the bridge pickup replaced an Evolution pickup.. The Evo had a sharpness to it that had begun to wear on me.. it wasn't overbearing at first.. in fact it's a great pickup and had all the qualities I like in a bridge model.. but my guitar/gear tends to bring out my highs and less low end... I DID manage to temper the Evo high end a bit with my setup.. but it STILL got on my nerves a little. So far I have to say the CS bridge is darker overall but otherwise a match for Evo in every case... I was using IDENTICAL settings for both clips.. but I will be TWEAKING a new setup based on the new pickups to suit the sound in my head.. so that is a work in progress.. =)

The YJM I like better overall for the neck. It seems more "rounder" overall tonewise.. AND if I play some chord stuff with it.. it ACTUALLY sounds KILLER... picture Yngwie's rhythm sound from Trilogy. If I use the neck pickup for rhythm that is the sound I get almost to a T. But I use it MOSTLY for lead stuff. When I split it to the North coil.. it's got Strat-y tone for days.. including the hum.. LOL!!

As for the balance in the pickups.. I MAY have to tweak the height a bit.. and the mix might not have been the best.. but it should have been good enough to give an idea of what each pickup could do in context of a song.
                    Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                    that new bridge pickup sounds particularly good in that mix
                    do you find the YJM to be less sonically greedy than the PAFpro, or does the new bridge pickup just cut through better?

Comment

Working...
                    X