banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Submitted for your reivew: my first analog mix in 2 decades! (Prog rock content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submitted for your reivew: my first analog mix in 2 decades! (Prog rock content)

The prog rock project is moving along very nice, in the final stages of vocal writing/recording now. This has me thinking about how I'm going to finish off the album, and mixing in analogue just seemed like the right move. I've not mixed in analog since my high school Tascam Porta 02 days!

Got me a Mackie 1604 desk, JBL powered monitors, a couple of Lexicon 'verbs, and a TON of patch cables (I owned about 30 TRS cables but had no idea this would not even be CLOSE to the total number of cables required to do this!). None of the hardware is new, and in fact is 1-2 generations old, to keep the cost down.

Result: Couldn't be happier thus far, though
    a. Mixing in analog is an entirely different beast than mixing ITB
    b. Mixing in analog is a LOT of work, as I have no automation or recall, so if I make a mistake, it's back to the beginning
    c. Levels and overall noise need to be constantly monitored (gain staging is VITAL)

I am still getting to know my way round the "new" setup but feel like I'm starting to get something akin to actual music now. Please have a listen:

Signal chain: DAW > Focusrite 18i20 > line outs 1-10 > patchbay > Mackie/SSL/outboard gear > aux sends > main outs > Focusrite 18i20

I calibrated the desk so that -12dBu in Cubase output = 0dB on the desk = -12dB on the 18i20 = -12dB going back into the DAW
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 10-26-2013, 10:09 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Submitted for your reivew: my first analog mix in 2 decades! (Prog rock content)

I enjoyed that very much. It reminds me of something, but the best I could come up with was King Crimson. It all sounds very, very well done.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Re: Submitted for your reivew: my first analog mix in 2 decades! (Prog rock content)

Thanks! The entire piece runs about an hour long =p. It is a bit of a 'kitchen sink' piece as far as influences go. Thanks for listening and the favourable comparison!

Comment

Definately has a 70's/analog vibe.... sounds awesome with the vintage synth sounds & all-round killer guitar tones. Very trippy!

Must've been a LOT of work...
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Thanks for listening! (Yes, it was a lot of work!)

Comment

I really enjoyed the tune and the mix! Great job ( particularly considering the shown monitoring environment) It does have a classic cool 70s rock YES, ELP, RUSH feel (my personal stomping grounds) in the best sense, not the experimental prog rock like Soft Machine and Gentle Giant and honestly it is one of the best mixes you have posted. It has a sense of space and every instrument has its own sonic footprint while retaining a cohesiveness. Thanks for sharing. A softened kick would support the low end strictly for added power in that area but that is a production call. Great tones (the right tones) through-out. Great work and cool writing! Cheers and respect, RG
            Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Thanks for the listen and detailed critique! It is still very much a work in progress; right now I'm still getting used to the whole thing. I totally agree about the kick drum and will probably be making it less attack-y. The vox will, of course, change the balance a bit and I'm glad that the song works quite well on an instrumental level even without vox (a personal goal of mine).

Re: the monitoring environment; as it's a temporary setup, I've not done much of anything to treat the space since that photo was snapped, but I do have a piece of Auralex studio foam between the monitors. I am also using a pair of acoustic blankets (Audimute) on mic stands to kill the first reflection. And lastly, I have the monitors up on HRS Nimbus and Black Diamond Racing pucks to decouple them from the folding table. But otherwise, yes -- a very rudimentary setup!
              Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I like the buildups and the way the song flows, cool stuff! very organic. 4:46 the drums are backed of for a nice breakdown in a prog sort of way. I thought the bass drum was a tiny bit too present and clicky, too much top end. I want a bit more low end frequencies, I am listening through KRKrokit6s and a 10" subwoofer.

This endeavor took a ton of work and it shows, bravo!

Comment

Awesome Stuff Ben....just waiting for the release so I can buy!

def some good crunchy with that 832...will hafta check that one out next time I am buying..
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                    I really enjoyed the tune and the mix! Great job ( particularly considering the shown monitoring environment) It does have a classic cool 70s rock YES, ELP, RUSH feel (my personal stomping grounds) in the best sense, not the experimental prog rock like Soft Machine and Gentle Giant and honestly it is one of the best mixes you have posted. It has a sense of space and every instrument has its own sonic footprint while retaining a cohesiveness. Thanks for sharing. A softened kick would support the low end strictly for added power in that area but that is a production call. Great tones (the right tones) through-out. Great work and cool writing! Cheers and respect, RG
                    Agreed - 110% on all accounts. First thing I thought of was Rush

I found the toms and the kick did get a bit overbearing, but jeez - this is so well mixed and let's face it - it's 70's inspired rock and 70's rock was known for the big and aggressive drum sound. There's not anything to dislike here - the playing is great, the space around the instruments is something I haven't heard in a long time and the general character of all of the instruments is phenomenal. To be honest, I've always appreciated your playing TO, but the actual sounds haven't supported it. This recording gives that playing justice. If you had told me this was mixed on a large scale Neve or something at a famous studio, I would have believed you. Fantastic work! Gah, there really is something so brilliant about analog. I know this is going to kill you (because I know it must have taken you a really long time to do), but your music really deserves an entire record of this chain.
                    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 10-27-2013, 07:04 AM.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                      Awesome Stuff Ben....just waiting for the release so I can buy!
                      Thanks, bro! It won't be long now. Once the vox are done, it will be a pretty quick turn around w/final mixing/mastering.

def some good crunchy with that 832...will hafta check that one out next time I am buying..
                      Since we appreciate the same kinda tones and pedals, I think this one will be a big hit with you!

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                        Agreed - 110% on all accounts. First thing I thought of was Rush

I found the toms and the kick did get a bit overbearing, but jeez - this is so well mixed and let's face it - it's 70's inspired rock and 70's rock was known for the big and aggressive drum sound. There's not anything to dislike here - the playing is great, the space around the instruments is something I haven't heard in a long time and the general character of all of the instruments is phenomenal. To be honest, I've always appreciated your playing TO, but the actual sounds haven't supported it. This recording gives that playing justice. If you had told me this was mixed on a large scale Neve or something at a famous studio, I would have believed you. Fantastic work! Gah, there really is something so brilliant about analog. I know this is going to kill you (because I know it must have taken you a really long time to do), but your music really deserves an entire record of this chain.
                        Thanks so much for the listen, detailed reply, and praise. Really appreciated!

This rough is just the first 8 minutes or so of the entire piece, which is about an hour long.

It will be mixed in its entirety in analogue, so rest assured -- there is a LOT more of this down the pike! Part I (this section) is perhaps the most direct part, if you can believe it. Parts II-IV have VERY extensive instrumental sections, some long, winding guitar solos, and a few instruments I've played around with but never committed to a release before (like synth solos, lap steel, and Ebow ) The Linn Drum from the intro makes a reappearance as well, but in a more musical context.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                          I like the buildups and the way the song flows, cool stuff! very organic. 4:46 the drums are backed of for a nice breakdown in a prog sort of way. I thought the bass drum was a tiny bit too present and clicky, too much top end. I want a bit more low end frequencies, I am listening through KRKrokit6s and a 10" subwoofer.

This endeavor took a ton of work and it shows, bravo!
                          Thanks for the detailed reply!

Comment

Working...
                          X