I recorded a new wave/synth pop song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recorded a new wave/synth pop song

My girlfriend and I recorded an acoustic cover version of "Personal Jesus" in summer 2013.
    We had a few recording sessions, but she wasn't satisfied with her vocal performance on the first go, so she came over a couple of weeks later and sang the whole song over again. That second session yielded a great vocal performance that we ended up using on our acoustic version of the song.
    But at the earlier session, she tried singing in this very soft, breathy style. I kept all those takes. Later, I could hear the song in my head as a synth pop song. So I took those unused vocal tracks (they were recorded to a click track) and added electronic drums, synths, and a little textural guitar.
    Recording the guitar was a challenge because I tend to like to hear how each note of a given scale (and some passing tones) sound (briefly) against the background harmony. But this song called for a one note wonder. I got close, but it was a challenge.

This style is one of my guilty pleasures. I didn't like it when I first heard it in the 80s, but I like a lot of the newer music that newer artists are releasing in this genre. Thanks for listening.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Re: I recorded a new wave/synth pop song

Bookmarked.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

That was great!

Comment

Wow! I loved that. But I'm not clear on something . . . is this you and your girlfriend doing a "cover" of another song? Or is this an original composition? You say something about not liking it when you heard it in the "80's".

Regardless . . . very nice.

Comment

If he wrote Personal Jesus, I don't think he would be posting here! =p

It's a cover.

Comment

dude, where did this salmon-colored blazer with huge shoulderpads come from?

Exxxxxxxcellent 80's sound capture. FIRE UP THE ROCKMANS
            Originally posted by Funkfingers
            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Artie, Depeche Mode apparently wrote "Personal Jesus" and recorded the original version. Johnny Cash recorded a version of it too. His version was the one I was most familiar with. Other than changing the instrumentation (Johnny Cash's version has acoustic guitar whereas Depeche Mode used synths), Johnny's version sounds a lot like the original. I wanted to reharmonize it. I kept the basic melody but changes some chords.
              I also recently posted our acoustic cover of the same song. I reharmonized it on that version too, but our acoustic rendition is more of a minor key jazz style.

I hated synth pop/new wave in the 80's. I was into prog rock, shredder instrumental rock, and jazz fusion. When I heard the Cars, Blondie, and the rest, I thought it was dumb music. But over the years, I've realized that these bands had a knack for great melodies and cool synth sounds. It might not be "serious" music but it's fun to listen to.

Thanks for listening, you guys.
              "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
              Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
              guitar pic site
              Original prog rock on soundcloud
              Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
              Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
                Artie, Depeche Mode apparently wrote "Personal Jesus" and recorded the original version. Johnny Cash recorded a version of it too. His version was the one I was most familiar with. Other than changing the instrumentation (Johnny Cash's version has acoustic guitar whereas Depeche Mode used synths), Johnny's version sounds a lot like the original. I wanted to reharmonize it. I kept the basic melody but changes some chords.
                I also recently posted our acoustic cover of the same song. I reharmonized it on that version too, but our acoustic rendition is more of a minor key jazz style.

I hated synth pop/new wave in the 80's. I was into prog rock, shredder instrumental rock, and jazz fusion. When I heard the Cars, Blondie, and the rest, I thought it was dumb music. But over the years, I've realized that these bands had a knack for great melodies and cool synth sounds. It might not be "serious" music but it's fun to listen to.

Thanks for listening, you guys.
                I totally get you on that. The Cars especially; they really managed to create wonderful tunes. I keep finding a lot of joy in INXS, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Huey Lewis, and the other sort of high-energy pop rock of the day.

Depeche Mode is pretty heavy duty. I like the chunk of time from Music for the Masses to Ultra where they are pushing a lot of boundaries with their style. It's also great music when you're writing songs about your singer's heroin addiction.

This is why I like covers so much. Applying some modern style to a rock-solid song makes for some great music.
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Double-ditto to both of the two above posts. I cut my rock-'n-roll teeth on Jimi, The Doors, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, QuickSilver Messenger Service, etc, etc. 90% of my current listening is techno/dance. "Serious" music is whatever I like.

I'll have to look up the original version of this song. I've never heard it before. I love it.
                  Be that as it may, I love your cover of it. I'll add this to my "playlist".

Artie

Comment

The guitar work in Depeche Mode songs is both solid and sparse - good stuff to listen to for songwriting craft.
                    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Working...
                    X